CHAPTER FOUR

His calloused fingers on soft skin, heated breath and flushed skin. The scent of wine with the sound of fine laughter, genuine happiness capture in these moments.

“You know I really like how he looks at her.” a small hum coming from his throat as I stare away at the sight in front of me.

“As if Mr. Grimes came out a Fitzgerald book, rather endearing Michel?”

“It’s just so beautiful how they look at each other, wouldn’t you agree Mr. Harper?” taking a glance away to look at his face once more, the curl of his lips to a smile as he took a sip of his wine.

“It feels a bit awkward in this table Rachel.”

“And where did that come from so suddenly Lily?!” Alice putting down her glass taking a bite from her plates, the never ceasing conversation of the four people leaving me and him to sit in a deafening silence. Soft murmur of the night air as it lets the tree branches dance to their groove, Finn’s arm draping around Rachel’s shoulder as Alice’s husband holding her for warmth. The subtle conversations drifting as the night draws darker, my fingers playing with the glass as time flies over his hot breath would touch my skin.

“Lets take a walk.” excusing the both of us from the table earning a few sly glances.

“At this night? Make sure there’s no funny business Elliot.” I eyed Rachel as she gave a quick wink, crossing my arms and cocking an eyebrow.

“I can say the same Rae. Finn, I hope you know the way back to the flat.” he shrugged leaning against the steel chair, his hand ghosted on Rachel’s shoulder.
“It was nice meeting you Elliot,” Finn shook his hand. “Take care of Lily here.”

The streets were merciless, the wind being it’s ally making me shudder with it’s touch. The symphony of silence as leaves to the trees join with melody, rustling aching to be a part of their orchestra.
“I didn’t know you were the type to walk around at night.” he let out a laugh, hearty and enthusiastic his coat giving warmth as he shoved his hands into his pockets.

“Well I only liked it because it gives me peace of mind.”
“You weren’t that enthusiastic of walking if I recall.” pulling light at the coat over my shoulder begging it to give some kind of warmth, his green eyes staring off to somewhere as the moon peeks out from the skies. The way his eyes would skim around was simply breath-taking, and he was just there illuminated by the moon.Trembling when the cold night air passed the both of us.

“You’re shaking, Elliot.” his head snapped over to mine as I stopped walking.

“It’s just the alcohol settling in.”

“No, it’s not.” the breath of cold air making my nose tingly as I take hold both of his hands.
“You’ve been shivering from the cold all this time.” gripping them tightly pulling them closer to my lips, the light shivers coming to a still as I look up from my lashes. The light dust of pink on his cheeks as his hands came to hold mine, the once cold air being the least of our priorities. Breathing heavy as he tugs me close securing a hold on my hips.

“Is it too late for me to ask you to stay.” nuzzling my head to his chest as he would run his fingers on my back, an unconscious hum leaving my lips as the sound of his voice drifting along with cold night wind.

Fidgeting on the hem of my sweater as I wait for the meeting to finish, rushing through the door making a bee line back to my office.
“Whoa, whoa Lily.” Finn shot up from his seat taking the folder from my grasp.

“Where you being chased or something? I’m sorry I got late for the meeting.” I shake my head as he poured a glass of water.

“It’s nothing really-”

“-Then don’t just run in like that, I thought you were in it for the worst-”

“Can you shut up and listen Finn.” steadily getting my breathing back, gulping down the glass of water. The two of us sitting down on the couch feeding the silence as we slump against it.

“So? What’s so wrong about it?”
“I barely know him Finneas, don’t you think that’s enough reason?”

“You guys were college classmates and legal adults don’t be such a child Lily.” letting out a breath that I didn’t know I held, the reminder of things that happened last night was here. A gray jumper that was his, a few threads loose and two sizes bigger than my petite frame.

“You know what Lily, take the day off.”

“Finn! I’m perfectly fine.” his eyes travelled over to me as I rest my head on the linen couch, tucking the cushion beneath my head. He shook his head strutting over to his desk, taking a few papers from the deck I gave him the other day.

“Here, I read them. I think you should call the author so we can discuss plans.” his eyes darted at the wall clock as it ticks.

“Take today off Lily. You’re always taking care of me,” he held my shoulders rubbing gently on them. “Let me take care of you too.” the small gesture as he hails a cab and tells the driver my address, I find myself stuck in front of a house I barely recognize as my own. Taking a few steps, hand trembling to even lift up, letting out a breath as I close my eyes.

“Not so sure you’d actually remember how to get here.” his voice honeyed as his fingers ghosting against my arms resting on my shoulder, leaning back against his chest as he repeats his actions.

“Not actually expecting this either.”