3

"Vanin, that's enough. Stop askin' the child so many question," Rasda's brother scolded his youngest son. "Forgive him, Pallu. He's just old enough to eat with the adults." The man looked pointedly at the offender. "And if he doesn't keep his mouth shut, he'll not be sitting with us much longer."

Pallu stifled a laugh for the sake of the boy. "It's alright, Sir Turinum. And yes Vanin, I have met my share of pirates of both land and sea."

His naturally large, round brown eyes doubled in size. "Truly Pallu? But how are there land pirates?"

"What do you think bandits are?" She gave him a sly wink.

Vanin thought hard for a moment and his face brightened with understanding. "Ah. I grasp it."

Rasda, her daughter, and Turinum's wife cleared the table of plates. Turinum ignored them as did the other men and boys. "What is it that Nimshi does these days?"

"Ensure that I am not deficient in my training," she laughed as did the others.

"I mean as a trade."

"He is a book dealer."

"What does deficient mean?" Vanin asked his father in whispered tones.

"I'll tell you later. Stay quiet."

Rasda began sweeping cups from the table. "Sardena, mayhap you could show Pallu the local steps."

With a quiet smile, Sardena tilted her head at her mother and waved Pallu forward. "Happy to. Right this way, Pallu."

Pallu followed in silence, nodding to the adults in the room as she departed. Sardena opened a door to the right of the kitchen which housed a small but lovely room for the only daughter.

"Put your sword and cloak here. Why do you wear that scarf?"

Pallu touched her head and smiled meekly. "Helps hide my hair so people on the road think I'm a boy."

Sardena's eyes were as round as her cousin, Vanin's. "Must be wonderful to have such adventures. Is it true all those tales you told?"

"Oh it is. I love it. Once you go on adventures and travel, you become attached."

"But isn't it hard? The weather, the fighting."

Pallu put her sword and cloak down. "Of course. But it's all worth it. There's nothing like sleeping under the sky and sitting around the campfire with your companions or riding the backs of waves and having the wind send your hair flying. It's amazing."

The excitement in Sadena's eyes grew to a pitch and then slowly died as she recalled her surroundings. "Let's start those lessons."

Soon the girls' feet were stomping or tapping. Pallu's scarf loosened and fell. Instinctively she reached out with her mind to catch it. The slip made Pallu's heart race with fear, but her hand m followed so quickly Sardena took no notice. At the end of their dancing, both girls were laughing on the floor.

"You're pretty good."

"Thanks." Pallu's hand rested on her stomach. "You know, Sardena. You're the only girl I've spent more than two moments with that's my age."

"Really?"

"Yeah. I don't have many friends."

Sardena patted Pallu's back. "May this be just the beginning for you, Pal."

Both were silent for a moment until Sardena asked, "How long are you to be here?"

"Well, about two weeks. I just arrived yesterday."

"We must spend more time together. I might be able to get out of some chores so I can show you about the town and country side. Maybe I can show you a bit about being more girlish."

"You'd do that?"

"Yeah. And you can tell me more of your stories. Maybe even show me how to use a sword or dagger."

"I can do that."

"Good. I'll be in tomorrow with Ma for the festival. I'll see if I can't get her to let me help you pick out some stuff and we can practice some more."

****

Pallu rode home, escorted by Sardena's oldest brother, Yunin. The family would not allow her to ride into town alone. She figured they would be so angry at her they would verily kick her out of the house.

"You and my sister seem to have hit it off."

"She's a very nice young lady."

"I'd watch her if I were you. She's wild, that one. Was always trying to play with the boys until Ma put an end to it. I suspect she's still got her old ways."

"There's naught wrong with wanting to have fun."

He considered her for a moment. "You meant all that stuff you said in there, didn't you?"

"Why would I say it if I didn't?"

"You're not afraid of anything, are you?"

"Of course I fear things. I'm not so prideful as to not fear."

"Name something?"

"I'll not tell you. It's none of your business."

His response was a silent chuckle.

"Do you always question those you escort?"

"Only those who peak my interest," he retorted without so much as a blush.

Pallu controlled the desire to reach out with her mind and yank his hood. Really. She should consider that a compliment of sorts. "It sounds as though Sardena is not the only one who enjoys a bit of danger."

"You are not dangerous."

This time Pallu laughed. "My ideas are dangerous, Yunin. I'm harmless."

"I doubt the latter but not the former."

Pallu tilted her head. "Do you think Turinum will complete the week?"

"Oh he will. He'll not lose face before his family. He could careless about those outside it. And if he doesn't my father will ensure he does. He'd not miss seeing Turinum being made a fool of."

"My intentions were not that he would be considered a joke."

"No matter your intentions, Lady Pallu, he will provide comic relief for the family for many years. And we are in your debt." He bowed with as much flourish as he could atop his horse.

Pallu did not answer but looked ahead to Selaras and the few lighted candles lingering in the windows. The entire town seemed to be readying for sleep early so they would be well rested for the morrow.

"Give your mother my thanks again and that I will see her and your sister tomorrow as planned."

"I will." He pulled his horse to a halt and watched her enter the safety of the town. "Good Night, Pallu the Dangerous."

"Sleep well, Yunin the Inquisitor," she called with a wave. A chuckle drifted to her ears from the direction of the young man.