Conversing

“Okay; first you make me sound like an ass and now you’re embarrassing me.” Aiden growled into her hair as he dragged her back down the dark hallway. “You’re going to have to learn to just shut your mouth.”

“Or,” Cooper said boldly. “You could stop being a jerk.” Quickly thinking over the stupidity of her brazen words she hastened to add, “And I didn’t mean to embarrass you. Not really.”

She was terrified when he pulled her to a sudden stop, until she realized they were outside ‘her’ door. She wasn’t sure if she’d get used to calling it that, but as she came into the dark room she thought she could get used to staying in it. It was rather beautiful.

“You think I’m actually a jerk?” He asked stepping inside with her and leaning against the door as he closed it. He felt lousy hearing that, he hadn’t really been meaning to do that.

She turned, straining her eyes to see his outline without the dim light from the hallway. “Yeah, you kinda act like it.” She shrugged. She went to crawl into bed because Aiden had been right when he’d said she’d had a long and straining day, and then she realized that she was alone with him and she could ask him all the things she’d wanted to. The nagging voice in the back of her mind pointed out that the vampires could hear her walking upstairs when they were yelling, so they would definitely be able to hear their conversation now that all had calmed.

Pushing these thoughts from her head she began her inquisition. “Why don’t you lock that door? This is the second time I’ve snuck out today. Don’t you care what your ‘pet’ does?” She used air-quotes for the word pet, knowing he would be able to see them better than she did.

She heard the pleasant rumbling of his chuckle, “It’s not like you’re that stealthy. If we had need of you we’d be able to find you in a fraction of a second.” The change of topic amused him. He crossed his eyes and smirked at her, wondering just how much she could see in the dim light of the room.

She nodded, she wanted to sit down. Her legs were tired. “There’s something that’s been bugging me.”

“Oh?” He asked, amusement touching his voice. “Please, share your burdens.”

“You killed that man in the cemetery.”

“Obviously.”

“But you didn’t kill me.” She said emphatically. She really wished now that she could see his face, “If you don’t have to kill to feed, why did you kill him?”

“For sport.” He replied honestly, and he felt the familiar pain of self loathing. He had wanted to become a vampire to avenge those killed for fun, and now he did it himself. He heard the deafening sound of Cooper’s shocked gasp; she found him disturbing... he was disturbing. Despite this Cooper was slightly pleased; it was about time she felt disturbed, it was about time she felt anything other than anger. “You were right,” he continued so quietly she almost didn’t hear him. “I am a jerk. I am sadistic, I enjoy killing because it’s something new. Being immortal… having the same people for company… it gets boring.”

She didn’t want to ask, she didn’t want to even be in the same area as this abomination, but Cooper found herself asking, “So… you like to kill, but you saw me and you decided to have a live in meal? Why didn’t you want to kill me?”

She shook with terror when he growled. The darkness made it worse for her imagination. She saw the pointed fangs she’d seen in Nadeline’s mouth and then she saw once more the vicious bite marks on George’s body. “I don’t know, I- I like novelties. Something about you gave me a fresh idea.”

So you aren’t special. She hated herself for being disappointed, for hoping he would’ve said he thought about her differently. “Ah. I’m going to try and find my bed now. Goodnight.” She told him and turned and stumbled over her feet as she went to the dark object in the center of the room. She assumed it was the bed since there had been no other furniture in the room before.