Fourteen

"I built it myself!" He said as if it was his prized possession. "I got inspiration from the Berlin Wall." He smiled.

Blossom stared at the barbed spiked wire, they looked sharp enough to break the skin. There was a steel pipe on the top so no one could grasp on. The murky water was on the other side of the fence and Blossom could only imagine what creatures were lurking in its depth. Behind that were pointed rock that could kill you if you were to fall.

Looking at her dad's traps made Blossom feel like a monster was gnawing at her heart. Was she like him, insane and ready to kill? Blossom choked back thought and tried to smile like the wall was just as important to her. But right then Blossom knew that blood was not thicker than water, blood could be cut off.

Before she could change her mind she snuck downstairs that night. Her eyes drifted to the saws and knives. She snuck over to the saws and grabbed a sharp looking one. Maybe she was secretly nervous but her body suppressed all emotions and forced her to carry out the tasks. She cut the wire and crawled through the hole she made. The spikes snagged her skin and tried to drag her back in, grabbing her with their deadly hands.

She fell into the murky water and tried walking across. The water became deeper until her neck was completely submerged and she had to work for her breaths. Shells snagged her feet and she felt the cuts and scrapes try and hurt her, but her soul was hurt more.

She dodged the rocks and tripped a couple of times. A cut on her stomach, her head, her hands, and legs. She kept going and ran through the woods, not even noticing when the branches of dead trees scrapped her shins. She walked for hours until her body became immune to sleep. Everything felt numb, not just her skin but her feelings as well.

She saw her house, the one with her adoptive parents. She knocked on the door but no one answered, no one cared about her. She saw the windows that led to the basement, so she found a rock and shattered it. She didn't even care that her shirt was ripped and the glass was tearing at her skin. The second her feet hit the ground she collapsed, her mind gave up. She felt so weak, so useless, she didn't have the energy to go on. So she stared at the broken glass reflecting the starry sky. Maybe she was insane like her dad because those seconds before her eyes closed she felt so at peace that it could be mistaken for happiness.