9: mothers and bears

The sun falls in thick golden rays through the white curtains of Callie's bedroom, casting it in a warm glow. There's a wave of serenity washing over them as Angel pulls her closer to his body, trying to savour the peace and quiet of a Saturday morning.

" We should get up, Daisy is gonna come knocking any moment now. She needs her cereal."

Angel buries his head further into her hair, getting lost in the scent of her hair. The scent of flowers. The scent of her.

" You gotta teach your kid how to properly make some cereal. Who puts the milk first. "

" This is something that won't leave your head, huh?"

" Nah. It's wrong."

Callie's body shakes with silent laughter. " You know what? You just let her watch you do it your way a few times and she'll copy it soon enough. She adores you. "

" Does she? " Angel says and tries to keep his voice as nonchalant as possible.

" Uh-huh. It's always Angel this and Angel that. You'd think you're her boyfriend. "

" Aw, you jealous mamí? "

" Nah " Callie responds before turning around and cradling his face in between her hands " I'm happy you guys have such a strong connection. She's my life. The most important person for me. There would be no you and I if she didn't get along with you."

" Yeah, I'm glad she likes me too. "

" Mama! " a little voice calls out from the room across the hall. It's not something Angel ever thought he would appreciate, having a kid around but something about this little routine him and the girls have established in the last few weeks feels — right.

Travis hasn't shown his face since the run-in at the carnicería but somehow the situation still weighs heavy on both of them. Angel hopes and prays that this is it. That Travis has learned his lesson and has pissed off. But this is Angel Reyes and his life is never that easy. Things don't just go right for him. If they do they don't stay that way for very long. He's constantly waiting for the other shoe to drop and things to nosedive.

" Mamaaa! " Daisy's little voice calls out again making Callie let out a sigh before slipping on her pyjama pants and Angel's shirt left discarded on the floor.

" I'm gonna go feed the little monster, you go take a shower then join us. "

Her lips are smiling and so are her eyes and Angel can't help but notice the flutter it sends through his heart. He hasn't felt this way since fucking high school. It's silly but it's so so nice to feel this way again.

" Alright. "

" Alright. "

Callie throws him a wink before walking out into the hallway leaving him alone tangled in the sheets that still smell like her, that still hold the warmth of her skin. If heaven really is a place, he thinks, this must be it.

- OOO -

The kitchen smells like bacon and eggs and toast and a burst of laughter carries through the air coming from the open dining room.

Daisy is devouring a bowl of cereal, watching some cartoon playing on the tv in the living room as Callie puts some bacon on a plate.

" Man, you girls are already throwing a party without me huh? " Angel exclaims as he steps into the room, making the girls look at him with smiles playing on their faces.