Chapter Twenty-Four

Winterfell - Year 300 - Three Days Later - Jaime and Arya's Chambers

Arya had not left their bedroom since she had discovered her husband's history with his sister. Haleigh and Joanna had come to visit her several times since she had barricaded herself in her room, but they could not convince her to leave the room. She just didn't understand, how could Jaime have a relationship with his own sister? She had allowed Jaime to come into the room to sleep because she could not force him out and there was no where else for him to stay, but she refused to talk to him. Thankfully, he had let her be, assuming her silence was due to the sadness she felt for her nephew. And while that was true, she found herself more upset over her husband than the child she barely knew.

But, she knew the silence would not last long, as they were all leaving today. Riding with the King south until they would split off to continue to Casterly Rock with their new charge, the littlest Stark boy, Rickon, who they would keep as a ward until he and Haleigh came of age to marry. So, anticipating the continuance of her previous life, Arya forced herself out of bed, dressed, and headed to the dining hall to eat breakfast with her family. When she arrived she was faced with the snake herself. Along with her husband, her children, and her neices and nephews. Without a word Arya took a seat next to Tywin, which was the seat furthest away from Jaime, as he was at the other end of the table, across from Cersei, helping Haleigh eat her food.

Jamie looked up from feeding his daughter to see his wife sitting as far away from him as possible, but before he could greet her, or ask her to come sit by him, Tyrion was barging into the room, giving out orders to the servants who were quietly serving breakfast.

"Bread. And two of those little fish. And a mug of dark beer to wash it down. And bacon, burnt black."

"Little brother." Jaime grumbled out in greeting, going back to feeding his daughter and deciding to question his wife's strange attitude later.

"Beloved sibling, and the most wonderful sister alive, Arya! How are you doing this morning my dear?" Tyrion rumbled out, causing Cersei to blush in rage as she thought he was talking about her, as he sat across from Arya, causing the woman to smile for the first time in days.

"Is Bran going to die?" Joanna burst out, like she had been thinking the question for a long time, looking at her mother for answers. But Tyrion was the one who had them.

"Apparently not." Cersei jerked up, looking concerned.

"What do you mean?"

"The Maester says the boy may live." Tyrion said happily as he began chewing on the bacon that had been placed in front of him.

"It's no mercy, letting a child linger in such pain."

"Only the gods know for certain. All the rest of us can do is pray. The charms of the north seem entirely lost on you."

"I still can't believe you're going. It's ridiculous even for you."

"Where's your sense of wonder? The greatest structure ever built, the intrepid men of the Night's Watch, the wintry abode of the White Walkers."

"Tell me you're not thinking of taking the black." Jamie said with a chuckle as he helped Haleigh take another bite of her mushy oatmeal.

"And go celibate? The whores would go begging from Dorne to Casterly Rock. I just want to stand on top of the Wall and piss off the edge of the world."

"The children don't need to hear your filth. Come." Cersei said with a scoff and she rose, expecting all of the children to follow her. But Arya stopped her children.

"No. My children will stay here. Take yours and go though. I'm sure your son needs his lessons." Jaime watched in confusion as Arya's eyes watched Cersei's with a mixture of disgust and hate as Tywin and Joanna sat back down next to their mother in confusion, but did not argue, not wanting to go either way. But what was really confusing for Jaime was the not confused looks on any of his sister's children's faces, or the fact that Cersei looked scared. Like Arya knew something. Jaime, again, said nothing as Cersei left with her brood, but Tyrion did not hold his tongue.

"What was that about?" Arya's eyes softened as she looked at the man she called brother, but did not answer. Jaime decided to try to break the tension with something else, anything else.

"Even if the boy lives, he'll be a cripple, a grotesque. Give me a good clean death any day."

"Speaking for the grotesques, I'd have to disagree. Death is so final, whereas life... life is full of possibilities. I hope the boy does wake. I'd be very interested to hear what he has to say."

"Me as well. I heard he was a marvelous climber, and that he had never fallen. He must have an interesting story."

Winterfell - Year 300 - That afternoon - The Courtyard, near the Smithy

Jamie was leading Arya towards their carriage to make sure everything was sorted when they spotted Jon at the Smithy, holding a very small, very thin sword. Jaime pulled Arya over before she could protest, and then Jaime was talking to the boy.

"A sword for the wall?"

"I already have one." Jon said, turning to look at his aunt and uncle.

"Good man. Have you swung it yet?"

"Of course I have."

"At someone, I mean. It's a strange thing, the first time you cut a man. You realize we're nothing but sacks of meat and blood and some bone to keep it all standing. Let me thank you ahead of time for guarding us all from the perils beyond the Wall... Wildlings and White Walkers and whatnot. We're grateful to have good, strong men like you protecting us." Arya could hear the snark in Jaime's voice, and she honestly wished she could go back to a time where that wasn't the normal setting in her husband's voice. She missed him. The man he was when he met her, consumed with love, and happiness, and warmth. Not this cold shadow of a man at her side now. But maybe she was different too. Maybe time had hollowed both of them out. Turned them both into shells of people, and took away their ability to mold against each other, to fit like puzzle pieces. Now all they were was rocks banging against each other from time to time when the current moved them.

"We've guarded the Kingdoms for 8,000 years."

"Is it 'we' already? Have you taken your vows then?" Arya looked up at her husband in shock, letting the disappointment wash across her face.

"Jaime. That is enough. Jon, please be careful. You have such a marvelous life ahead of you, and I cannot wait to hear what you do with it. Please, write me whenever you wish, and if you ever get the chance to come to Casterly Rock, please do. Perhaps someday I could tell you stories of your mother? Not today. You father does not wish it. But someday." Jon looked shocked at what she said but nodded without commenting, and hesitantly returned the hug that she leant in to give the son of her long dead sister.

When Arya pulled away, she grabbed her husband's elbow, and began pulling him away from her nephew, ready to leave and go home. Back to Casterly Rock so she could finally confront her husband about his affair with his sister.