The Definition of True Love

What is essential to us as human beings? We experience love. But is it really just us who are mothering, nurturing, caring and loving creatures? Anyways, if I want to explore and define myself or other human beings, I can't seem to be able to do it if I don't at least try to find a basic definition of love as it seems to be such a big deal for most people. And, in my humble opinion, love is, always has been and always will be, quite an essential part of human nature. How appalling it is to the cynic in me... But now I am going to write a story, a story about love. About what I believe it to be.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once upon a time in an imaginary land that I made up just for this story there lived a brave-hearted young rabbit. Not only was he courageous, but also he was very curious. He used to hop very far from his homely rabbit hole, searching for adventure, to see the world, searching for something different, searching to find himself.

When he came back he loved to play with his sisters and brothers, they hopped over the grass for hours and hours, having a lot of fun and laughing endlessly. The rabbit had always been very close to all of his family members and he loved all of them with all of his heart. He sometimes dreamed about a journey, hopping away from the rabbit hole he and his family lived in, going further away than ever before, seeing more of those things he had never seen... But in the end he loved his family too much to seriously consider having such adventure. Playing with his siblings, nephews and niece was the most fun he could ever imagine to have and there was nothing in this world that could have made him happier. Or so he thought.

He had never expected that there would come a day, when suddenly, in just one moment everything would change.

It was noon and he had once again hopped away far from his rabbit hole, searching for an adventure. This time he was sniffing the ground very thoroughly, trying to maybe find an exotic kind of carrot, a different kind of carrot, one that would be a different kind of delicious. He had dreamed of finding that kind of a carrot and bringing it home to his family to share it with them for a quite long time now.

He was so focused and so deep in his dreams that he even forgot about time and about where he was going. When he lifted his eyes off the ground that was when it happened. That was when he saw her the first time. It felt as though he was struck by an immense power, one he had never felt before. His small rabbit heart set out for one beat and then started beating faster and faster and he felt like he couldn't take it anymore. He wanted to go there, to talk to her, but in that moment he fell all out of words. He had never been so astonished by anything, nothing had ever made his heart beat so fast. For a while, he felt like he had left this world, like there was no time anymore. So he just sat there and gazed at her through the grass. She was sleeping, her paws crossed on the ground. Her breath was heavy and deep like she was in sorrow.

Then she opened her eyes. Dark brown eyes, so beautiful, so deep. She got up and walked a few steps. The wind was blowing as she lifted her nose, enjoying the breeze, and sniffing, probably searching for food. And that's when she turned around. And she saw him. His heart set out. Her look was still tired, yet she seemed amused, maybe even excited to see him.

But it had been too much for him already. He couldn't help it, he didn't find any courage left in him and he ran. He ran all the way home, faster than he had ever run before.

"DAAAD!" He yelled. Some of his siblings and his mother were still asleep and less than exhilarated to be shaken out of their sleep by the loud and inconsiderate, seemingly unnecessary sound of his voice.

Dad hopped towards him as he hopped down the rabbit hole. "What is it, son?"

"I have found her!"