Chapter 15. Preach.

Chapter 15. Preach.

The girl with fox took her place on the town square. They were sitting in the evening sun enjoying the view. People were walking, talking, buying, eating. Business in the late afternoon.

"Sometimes I think that people are good creatures. And they are. Unfortunately, this soil is too small to feed us all. Old foxes say that there were maybe one hundred houses here, years ago. The dessert was full of food for everyone. Now our life is more difficult but those folks don't see it, don't know it, don't care. Some probably do but it doesn't change anything."

"Stan... probably it won't make you feel better but humanity is doomed. Overpopulation and damaged environment will erase us within one hundred years. I don't like it but it happened before, and will happen again. It's a cycle of life. I just want to make those last years a bit better. And... we are still here, aren't we?"

Stan strokes Tiffany with his head as friendly animals do.

"Tiffany, are you going to tell them that their days are numbered?"

"No, let the ship sink nicely, let the music play. They may think that we are grumpy glooms."

"Cool, let the music play. We are merry fellas." Both laughed out loud.

"Why should the sheep sink with a sound of music? It's probably an expression as people say one thing but they mean another. Not a lie, just a fancy way of saying stuff. Let the sheep sink, we'll eat it later."

"Life is great. Sometimes more, sometimes a bit less. But as said one guy after coming back from the other side of Styx, It's better to be a slave's dog on earth then a big shot behind the river. And we are still here folks.

Let's keep it this way. I was thinking recently why we are good guys. There are so many places on this planet and each of them has a code. A code how to not kill each other out, how to behave toward each other. And every code has some basis. To protect life, property, dignity. Some say that the rules, the commandments are given to us by someone, a higher being. A god. But I wonder, if each place has its own god why are the commandments so similar? Maybe we have the same god? No, the gods mostly hate competitors, they say "Me and nobody else or you go to hell." It's so humans desire exclusivity. Isn't it? We have some weaknesses and the codes sometimes point us in the right direction, sometimes in totally wrong one. We need them. But we also need to know about them. So, If you look closer at those codes, you will see that they are written as if by the same person. I have read some of the holy books and I know who by. We have written it. We humans. Over years of development we have established rules for the good of our tribe, ethnic group, nation. We know deeply inside what is good and what is bad. We know what is more important and what is less. Why do we know it? Because we have survived for so long. How do we know it? By watching how these who don't know died out. It's called evolution and learning by experience."

"Evolution is a lie" someone cried.

"Watching how some folks act I don't believe they are god's creation. More likely they come from apes. Do you know some of them in your neighborhood? I bet you do. Also dinosaurs never existed. No god would create such monstrosity. But it's another story. As for us, the great race of people, WE have created our laws, WE update them, change, create some new. No one else. Maybe it's so imperfect, surely it has some holes. But it keeps us relatively safe and prosperous. Bravo humanity. Well done. We are great."

"Are you saying that commandments are not from God? But there are writings, it's written in old books."

"We have created them, both books and the commandments. How can we trust books five thousands years old if we can't trust today's newspaper? Can we?"