Chapter 19. A message from afar.

It was the next morning when Jeff left Tiffany at the side of the road close to her camp. She walked the rest on her feet a bit tired but relaxed. New day looked nice. The sun was high, the air was cool and juicy with the morning dew. As always, good feelings are fragile and can be easily destroyed by an unfairness of life, it was like that this time.

Tiffany sat on her garden chair and stretched her bones.

"Life is good, despite me poking some bears. Mwahaha. There is nothing they can do. Nothing bad on the horizon. Cool. Nap time, then."

She got up and her eyes lied on the writing pad she had left for communication with a strange guy visiting her camp some time ago. Something was different. The pad was in a different position and there was something on it. A bullet. And one word written on the pad. "Leave"

At first, Tiffany wanted to wright back "Fuck off" but then just stood there with the pad and the bullet in her hands. The day wasn't as good as it looked in the morning. What now, girl? It's not an illusion. It's not the desert playing with your brain. It's a freaking bullet. Hard and real. It's a message. Someone apparently wanted to make sure that she understood so wrote "leave" apart from the bullet. As if that wasn't enough. Who? The bears from the town. Priste? No, that would be... too crazy. But... history knows fighting monks so why not fighting prieste. Mayor and his friends? Maybe. Buck and his sidekicks? No, they would do it differently. More with physical action then a game. Whoever it was, it's bloody serious. But ... does it really matter who it is? More important is what will be his next move. Actually it will be sort of a physical to hurt me, to make me go. Don't be caught off guard Tiff.

...

Three days later in the late evening, Tiffany was sitting in front of the RV reading the old book. There was a solar powered lamp on the table when she heard a noise of someone's steps. She raised her eyes and saw a man approaching her camp.

"Evening, Tiffany" he greeted her a bit too coldly to take it in a good manner.

"Evening, sir. Do we know each other?" Tiffany replied, still sitting on her chair.

"It doesn't matter. My boss wants you gone or silent. And, as for now it's up to you to choose which way gone or silent you will be. Leave tomorrow before nightfall. Save yourself pain and myself work."

"I understand it's a threat?"

"Clever girl. So?"

? Tiffany has raised her eyebrows.

"Start packing your stuff, ok?"

"No."

"No?"

"Tell your boss that there is someone who has my back and that guy doesn't play games with people who threaten him or his property. Also, do a background check on me, you'll find out that people around me tend to ...depart."

It already got darker but the moonlight kept the night away.

"Don't play it this way Tiffany. I'm not a beginner. You are bluffing."

"Do you have a gun?"

"I don't need a gun to deal with you, girl." Replied the man slightly irritated.

"Look around you, then." Tiffany pointed something behind him.

The man turned around and spotted Rita sitting maybe fife yards from him. Cold sweat appeared on his forehead. The puma was sitting calm and watched the man couriosly. The man slowly took position to see them both and tried to control his shaking hands. Tiffany switched the lamp off.

"What now, sir? How do you intend to deal with her?"

"You just earned a bullet from afar, girl."

"Oh, stop it man, the table turned, can't you see it? I wouldn't say it being in your place."

"Sorry, old habit.- the man made an apologetic gesture- ''You won't set her on me, you are peace preacher, I heard?"

Tiffany laughed out loud.

"I am, but for you I could make an exception. Especially when you came here to threaten me. And you still do despite the circumstances. But... as for me, you can go. Tell your boss that I received the message but refuse to cooperate. As for her- Tiffany pointed at Rita who showed her teeth and licked her lips- It's up to her."

The man made a few steps back and opened his mouth to say something.

"Don't bother, sir. Don't make it worse."

When the man left, Tiffany noticed her hands were shaking. Rita hugged her in silence as if she knew what had just happened. It was a few hours later when Tiffany reached into her bag and pulled out her mobile and a piece of paper with a number on it.

"I need my jacket... and also, where lives that asshole Buck?"

...