Chapter 8. What's up there in the distance?

Rita disappeared before sunrise. Tiffany slept till after 10 am. She got up and got out of the rv. The sun was already working hard providing an excess of heat to the desert. As every day Tiffany has done her chores and began to think what to do with the day. Archery, of course. Practice makes a master. She thought after another missed shot. Don't worry, girl. You will get there eventually. Try again. And again. You just need nine thousand, nine hundred and ninety nine hours of practice. You have the rest of your life to do it. And Tiffany was firing shot after shot with patience and modesty. When her fingers began to ache and she decided to stop. She came back to the rv and inspected it thoroughly. The engine was humming nicely and had no visual leaks at the top part. Then Tiffany crawled under the rv to check it too. Everything was good and Tiffany smiled happily. Then she reached a small shelf under the stairs and pulled a gun wrapped in an oily cloth. The gun she took from Mal's place after she rescued Bianca. She sat on the chair and dismantled it into pieces and cleaned. Then she reassembled it and dismantled it again. She did it five times and promised to herself to do it every day. After this reassuring exercise decided to go to the rocks to scout a bit and then go to the creek. She felt the confidence as before. The backpack was ready and the girl was about to set off to her destination. Her eyes lied on the bow and arrows. She took them. She also took a sun hat and sunglasses.

...

The men talked freely without any precaution. They knew that there is none to eavesdrop in a proximity. There were two of them. Both in late twenties or early thirties, dressed in worn out jeans, shirts and huts. They have been shabby and waif like. It was obvious that they had been for a long time in the desert. Tiffany heard them from a good distance and her heart froze. It was the first time when she came across men since day one. She crept closer to see them. She could hear what they were talking about but it was nothing interesting. A part of the word "over" which was quite frequent, apart from that just everyday's boring stuff. Still not good, who the hell can have a business here, in the middle of nowhere? They don't look like farmers, more like... people who have something to do. What? They are criminals, they pick up a consignment of something to deliver it somewhere else. It's clear as water in a mountain stream. Better to not cross their path. I'll just make a detour and leave them in peace. Tiffany began to creep back when she heard a voice from behind her.

"Lost something, missy?" The third member of the team was standing five yards behind her.

Tiffany got on her feet slowly but with a pounding heart. She was thinking what to say. Also she was thinking if she managed to fire a shot and killed him in case of a hostile move.

"Don't think of it, missy. You can't kill three of us. Besides, killing is bad." Tiffany found his statement surprising as from a man who seemed to be used to violence.

"Sorry, you are right. I won't kill you. I wasn't here to spy on you guys. I was passing by. Don't worry about me. Mind your business, I will mind mine." Tiffany turned around as if to leave. At first the man laughed as if he heard a joke but then his face got serious. At that moment the girl decided to gain an advantage. She quickly took the bow in her left hand and put an arrow on the chord. She needed only a fraction of a second to fire the first shot and the man knew it.

"Do you really want to play it this way? -as Tiffany kept silent the man continued- Let me be your common sense, girl. Even if you shot me, my colleagues will get you. They have guns. Do you still think it's worth it?- Tiffany said nothing and the man kept talking as if faster- Have it than your way. Fire up.- he said calmly and stretched his chest and put his hands behind waiting for a shot.- No? So maybe I will turn around.- slowly he turned around. - No? So watch now, silly. I will face you again and tell me what you think. - The man turned around again but this time he had a gun in his hand. An old six shooter colt .45. He didn't aim it at Tiffany but they both knew that it might only be a fraction of a second. Tiffany knew she lost her chance.