✧ Chapter 5 ✧ Star ✧

✧ Star's POV ✧

"You've got to be fucking kidding me," I watch from my glass house at the pieces of paper showed to me of Zora – a beautiful basic blonde haired bitch. I refused to even acknowledge her hair was a brilliant silver. I throw aside the papers and I turn to look out the glass windows. Nothing was abnormal below in the Open Strip, glowing clubs and restaurants and the fashion boutiques were lit and occupied with regular customers. Every action centre – where the rich humans took their Wanderers to play games with their favourite toys, were still operating. As they should be. It was all perfect. Except... "I hate any Soulstess that gets plucked from the DIG."

"They are but sweet things –" my assistant Emerald tries to tell me.

"I know," I snarl out, swinging to her, watching her tremble back a step from my closed fist, "And I am a Zoultex. She is a bane to me, to me, Emerald, to me! Do you hear me?" I inform her, the second in command.

She was my humble mouthpiece.

Emerald blinks a few times, then informs me, "From DIG's research, all Soulstess represent no harm –"

"Giovanni is interested in one, why?" I think of my lovely husband – my partner in absolute crime. He was three centuries old like me, I gave him immortality and I gave this ship the energy it needed to run – and I gave the Dinakin their money.

"Well of course he wants to play with her – as you both have had toys in the past of similar nature," Emerald murmurs.

"He has never chosen a Soulstess – and only five have ever been plucked, four died in Zour on the streets from the Freeze and this one returns for trouble?"

"Zora exited the DIG when she was twelve years old, so she knows only a life lived in delusion," Emerald, oh Emerald, the green haired girl looked like a frog to me, with her green eyes and her obsession with small animals and those slimy amphibians.

"And yet he's given her the G-360-Elixir and Aphrodisiac 7," I point to the papers I threw down.

"For pleasurable appeal."

"That's simply not how that drug works on a Soulstess."

"I am a Soulstess, aren't I?" Emerald whispers to me uncontrollably and gently, but she no sooner receives the back of my hand across her cheek for mentioning it.

"Every day you say it to me!" I scream it down at her – and even though she cries, she does not listen, "Stop saying it!"

My screeches could break glass if my anger rose any further.

I ran on rage.

Any little thing would set me off to silence others through any form of violence available to me.

Oh, I did not enjoy it. It was troublesome and tiresome to my throat and my knuckles – yet someone had to pull all these wanderers into line.

"I am relaying the information you wanted," Emerald collapses to her knees, latching onto mine, and I finally smile, as she begs for mercy, "Please, Star, forgive me!"

"Go!" I screech down at Emerald and she falls off me as I kick her away, "I miss my husband, tell him to return!"

Without a word Emerald runs off, tripping over herself, while I reach for more G-360-Elixir, mixed by Gio himself off a supply stand. I stab my leg – I inject the sustenance to ground me to better understand human emotion.

I breath out my rage and I feel my gravity come back to centre.

I turn around to look at the empty crimson red box that I call home, and I roll my eyes, "Release the bunnies," I tell the automated system.

The small doors lift and the rabbits hop out from corners of my box, "Awwwww, cute things!" I hold a hand to my chest as I walk to the wall of my favourite tools.

I pick up the flame thrower and I sling the strap around my shoulder so it hangs in place if I want to stop and pick up a cup of tea along the way.

Ah, fuck the beverage.

I turn to the defenceless sweet fluffies hopping around in confusion and I press the trigger – warming the room and spicing up the aroma of the bland sterile oxygen.

I imagine the smoke filling the room to be the dying Soulstess – and my mood finally heightens.

I would send Emerald my apologises for my over-reaction – perhaps I'd buy her useless diamonds.

She was a great assistant.

A lovely friend.

Giovanni, however – he was my best friend, also my husband and the love of my life!