Chapter 10

August 2000

The last 9 months had been a whirlwind for Marshall. He was still becoming accustomed to the success following his second studio album, the Marshall Mathers LP, that had just been released in May. If he thought the attention he'd gathered before was overbearing, now it was just downright intimidating. His love life had also taken a low blow. A couple of weeks ago, Kim filed for divorce. He wasn't sure if he was hurt or relieved. All that time he had tried to fix what was wrong with them, seemed to go down the drain. But at least now, he could indulge in the calm before the storm.

Things with Khrys had taken an odd turn. Their friendship was very, very strong but, they didn't have as much time for each other. With Khrys filming and Marshall running all over the world touring, the just didn't have time to meet up as much. They had only seen each other 3 times since his birthday. He was able to attend her 20th birthday party though, that he made sure of. He thought the least he could do was move around a show or two to return the favor.

Marshall also noticed that Khrys had started acting a bit peculiar when he would try to engage in a little playful flirting. She didn't seem to be keen on it now, she didn't even correct him on it. He thought it was a bit strange, but then he thought about their little moment at his party and always thought that was the reason she seized the innuendos and flirtatious banter. It wasn't until today when he called her and tried to hit on her again, that she confessed her reasoning.

"I'm seeing someone, Marshall."

He felt his heart drop to his stomach.

"What, since when?"

"About 2 months ago." She admitted quietly.

"And why didn't you tell me?" He felt himself getting worked on the more he spoke to her about this mystery person and he was desperately trying not to blow up, on her.

"What do you mean, why didn't I tell you? It's nothing serious right now."

Something in him snapped, and unfortunately, he gave her the heat for it.

"I didn't know we were keeping secrets and shit from each other now, Khrys. You're just out here frolicking around with other guys and I don't know shit about it?" He spat at her.

"You don't have a right to be mad at me, Marshall," she spoke, quietly. "My personal life isn't anyone's business but mine. And for the record, no one else knew either. I was keeping it a secret until I knew I was ready to come out to the word with her. Besides, you had a whole wife. What did you want me to do, wait around for you like a lost puppy?" There was a soft sniffle on the line after she finished speaking. It was faint but he knew for sure that she was about to cry.

Wait? Her?

Suddenly, it felt like a ton of bricks fell on him. Was she lesbian, was that why she kept rejecting him?

"You're with a woman? Are you, ya know?"

"After everything, I just said to you, that's all you got out of it? No, I'm not lesbian. I'm bisexual, something that's frowned upon. So excuse me if I felt a little uncomfortable telling anybody about my girlfriend." Her voice was wavering as if she was about to burst out in tears at any moment. He was mad at himself, real mad for flipping out about this.