Chapter 1

"Everly, are you ready to go?" My mom's whimsical voice recruits from downstairs.

Today I have work the local coffee shop called 'Sip' where I work. It has been one month, two weeks, and three days since I started. As my mom and dad put it, it's time I become an adult and have a fulfilling life. The new routine scares me, and it's not what I'm used to, but I'm trying to integrate it into my practice.

I tend to like things a certain way. As an example, I go to bed every evening simultaneously and get up every morning at the same time.

Walking around a beautiful park near my home highlights my days. I enjoy feeding the birds and ducks. Colorful flowers surround a pond. It's a favorite place, along with home and the animal shelter. I love animals. My favorite television show is Planet Earth. I watch it for one hour every day. Then I take pictures and do my sketches. They keep my mind busy and offer me comfort and solace.

I tied my laces, the left shoe, then the right shoe. 'Bunny ear around the bend, slide through the hole, and pull real tight.' I say out loud as I do this simple task. 'Perfect.' I admire my laces, making sure they are tired just right.

"Coming, mom," I answered back; I stood up and tapped the heels of my canvas shoes together and tucked my hair behind my ears. I grabbed my black suede cowgirl hat and placed it on my head. It made me feel pretty, and I loved it. I always wear it. Well, almost always, not when I am sleeping.

I grabbed the gold rings I wear; I have four: one star, one moon, one heart, and one key.
They all mean something to me. The star because I love to look up at the stars, there are millions, but each one is special and unique. Not one is the same. I liked the moon because I have read about couples who walk hand in hand under the moonlight walk. It sounds so romantic. The heart is because I want to fall in love one day, just like in the movies. I know it probably doesn't happen like that, but it would be cool.
Then my key ring because I love mysteries and solving problems or clues. I love board games and puzzles.

I walked over to my messenger bag that hung off my hook by my door. I slung it over my shoulder. It had everything I needed: My pink sketchbook and my pink sparkly nail polish in case my nails get chipped or need a new coat. I also have my silver shimmery pencil case and sharpener so I can do my drawings on my break.

Drawing is one of my favorite things and taking pictures. People fascinate me. I like to watch people. How everyone is different and how they interact with people around them. A quick wave to a stranger or a smile to a small child. Or the look in the eyes of a couple when they are together.

Some give me weird looks or send me a slight smile or even wave or say hi to me. I usually look away shyly at the ground, not knowing what to say. I'm just awkward and weird. It's what I have heard and have accepted all my life. Look at her. She's so strange; awe poor girl must suck to be her. What's wrong with her? She's stupid. She's cray-cray. She's so dumb. These are just a few of what I have heard. I have listened to tons. Mostly hurtful cause they don't understand me. But no one cares to get to know me.

But it also comes with people pointing, laughing, or whispering as I do some crazy or out of character or the norm of how people should act out in public.

It's a lonely world to feel alone. You are always walking around like you don't exist in this world. In a world where everyone wants to connect or feel something.

I feel nothing but scared and fear of being made fun of.

I exited my room and closed my door behind myself. I counted the stairs as I walked downstairs. There are ten steps. I don't know why I do this; it's just mindless, like something I just did one day and have just always done it since.