Running Buddies

This prompt/idea from Ailsa_Weasley and a bit from TheKazzy Thanks for your idea! I played around with it a little bit and was able to extract this story from the mess that is my brain.

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

Quarantine had been a bit rough for Peter, he wasn't used to staying home all day and doing nothing. Sure, he could do his homework, but who even likes homework anyways? It wasn't like he actually learned anything doing distance learning anyways. He had already built 15 puzzles and rebuilt half of his lego creations. 

May was working in the ER as a nurse and was very overworked. As a result, Peter couldn't leave the house at all in case Aunt May caught the virus and passed it on to him. It was better that he didn't risk spreading the virus.

Now, obviously, Peter was a very fast healer due to his spidey powers, so he wasn't too worried about that. The problem was that he hadn't exactly told May about being Spiderman yet (just go with it ok? This is a weird time frame that didn't happen in the films) and therefore couldn't come up with a single excuse as to why he should be able to leave the house.

The complete lack of human interaction other than from his aunt who came home to sleep every couple of days was really dragging him down. Yeah, sure, he could just video call his friends. Unfortunately, May and Peter weren't in the best position financially to begin with and couldn't afford unlimited internet. He needed the internet for more important things. Like not failing every class in school, and looking at memes.

It isn't in human nature to be isolated. Peter's friends started noticing that it was taking a toll on him mentally when he stopped returning their texts as often. If he responded at all, it was half-hearted and empty. When Tony started noticing the lack of emotion coming from the normally over-enthusiastic kid, he realized that something was very wrong.

He called May and found out about the situation and decided that the only reasonable solution to this problem was to invite Peter to come live with them all at the Avenger's compound. Not many of the Avengers were exactly familiar with who he was other than the fact that he had fought at the airport and was fairly young.

Moving to the compound definitely improved his mood, but he was still missing the face to face connection with people his own age. Don't get him wrong, the Avengers were cool people to hang around, but he missed his friends. 

Ned, and MJ, and... yeah that was pretty much it.

Peter obviously still had to complete his schoolwork daily, but he couldn't find very much motivation to do much else. He mostly just scrolled through various forms of social media and felt more and more alone as the days went by. The internet wasn't exactly a positive place right about now. 

And sure, you could make arguments about how a revolution is a good thing, and the protests are for the best. But sometimes it just became too much and he needed a break. Unfortunately, there wasn't much he could do to relax, there was no way to distract himself, everywhere he turned people were being toxic and he couldn't get out of his own head. He didn't want to miss something important. What if another significant event happened and he missed it? What if the death toll continued to grow and took May with it? What if-

"Hey kid, wanna go for a run?"

Peter snapped out of his thoughts and looked over to the doorway from where he was laying on his bed. Sam Wilson was standing at the door looking at him questioningly.

"Huh?"

Sam chuckled lightly, "I said do you want to go for a run with me? There's a nice long track out back. I'm heading out anyways and it seems like you could get out of the house."