39

02/05/2001
The Rousseau's Residence, Kingswear, Devon
¬

[ h o m e ]

"SHE'S HERE! SHE'S HERE! PLAY IT COOL, PLAY IT COOL, PLAY IT COOL

"SHE'S HERE! SHE'S HERE! PLAY IT COOL, PLAY IT COOL, PLAY IT COOL."

"Babe, you play it cool," Cameron ran his hands up and down Ezme's arms to calm her nerves down.

"Okay..." Ezme took a deep breath, "Okay."

She peeked through the window and saw George doing the same thing Cameron did to Elinor before slowly walking up the stairs.

Ezme opened the door before Elinor or George could knock.

Nearly a minute passed with the two girls staring into each other's eyes.

The first thing Ezme immediately noticed was Elinor's complexion. It was no longer ghostly pale like she remembered at the ICU. There was even pinkish tinge on the apples of her cheeks.

And then she noticed the basket of chocolate cakes clenched tightly within her fingers.

A jacket she recognized as George's thrown over her shoulders.

George himself was wearing a long sleeved polkadot shirt with a maroon vest.

"I— I thought you're taking care of her well, George!" Bielle was the first to speak, "Look at my daughter! She looks like she lost a lot of weight! Come here, Ellie."

Bielle took Elinor's wrist and gently tugged her towards the dining table. An assortment of healthy foods were beautifully placed on it —toasts, tall stack of pancakes, English set, croissants, a salad bowl, waffles, fruits, omelette, a pitcher of orange juice, another pitcher of mixed berries... A sunflower put in a see through vase acted like the centerpiece.

"Sit down." Bielle ordered curtly as she took the seat beside Elinor. "Eat."

She was always like that. Terse, sharp, reprimanding, but secretly caring. Elinor knew that her mother made this all by herself. She knew because when she was first discharged from the hospital, three years ago, she cooked the exact same things.

Elinor shakily took a bite from the waffle...

...and she cried.

She was too busy being selfish, trying to keep her secrets unknown, that she forgot how much she actually missed her foster family. How much she was indebted to them. How much she had really, really grown to love all four of them.