3x12: Shame

Synopsis: Following Walter's sudden death, Team Arrow work to understand why Jane Deleon was targeted by an assassin, but the truth comes as a surprise to everyone. Meanwhile, Roy finds himself an ally in the hope of understanding Thea's strange behavior.

---

3x12: Shame

Walter Steele's funeral took place on a quiet Monday, with cold rain hanging in the air. Many knew the man and came to pay their respect to the fallen friend who had died much too soon. Most whispered among themselves of the unfortunate events that had stolen Walter from the face of the Earth before his time was up, of how unfairly the hand of death had treated the kind-hearted man.

Oliver sat in the white plastic chair, facing the casket, as the minister spoke the final words before the casket would be buried beneath the ground. He listened with half an ear to the words being spoken about the important, honest and respected man that lay dead before them all.

Oliver felt numb inside his chest, his heart beaten and broken like so many times in the past. It struck him then that though he had lost many people in the past, this was the first funeral he had ever attended. There had been no funerals to attend on Lian Yu or in Hong kong, nor had he been there for Tommy's funeral or even his mother's. The pain had been just as unbearable for all those events, but something had changed since and he had felt strong enough to attend at last. Not least to pay his respect to a man who should still be alive, and to pay homage to the dead that rested in the ground beside him. To all those who had died in vain when Oliver ought to have kept them safe.

Oliver glanced at the young brunette beside him. Thea's face was sad yet cold, hardened yet worn, as she stiffly stared at the white casket before her. She, too, seemed lost in her own thoughts, paying little heed to the procession around her. She wore an indestructible armor around her heart that Oliver recognized only all too well. He had no notion of how to break through her defenses and keep her safe and sound at the same time. All he was certain of was that she was more distant to him than ever before, like a small speck on the horizon he couldn't reach. She had made it quite clear, after all. She didn't want him in her life anymore, they were siblings by blood bonds alone, and he couldn't blame her decision. He had done her much wrong in the past, while intending to keep her from harm. He had been his own worst enemy and was still paying the prize for his choices. Regardless, he saw no way out of his guilt-ridden maze.

Oliver sighed and lowered his gaze. He had lost both Walter and Thea this week, and now there were none left of his family by his side. He stood alone in the wilderness, with the howling wind threatening to tear him limb from limb.

---

At the reception in Walter's penthouse, people were amicably socializing and sharing fond memories of their lost friend. The mood was relatively calm, though sadness burdened the crowds like a heavy cloak upon their shoulders.

Felicity sniffled and dabbed a handkerchief at the stray tears that rolled down her cheeks. Her gaze lingered on Thea in a secluded corner of the room. The young woman looked lost and uncomfortable, as if she desired nothing more than to be elsewhere. Still, she held her head high and shed no tears as she stood anchored by the windows, gazing steadfastly out at the world.

Felicity glanced over her shoulder. At the other end of the room, Oliver was seated in a low sofa with several other guests talking around him. The Queen heir himself had not spoken a word during the entire day. Felicity worried for him, but had to admit (though shameful it might seem) she was relieved he hadn't run away this time. That he had not hid from the world, but rather accepted the loss and dealt with it in his own morose manner.

Oliver's distant gaze now was heartbreaking and Felicity wished she could relieve his pain even a fraction.

---