who's in it for the bitter end

he had stayed out there for most of the night, his mother falling asleep with her head resting in his lap. he stared out at the vastness of his home, the lush grass and vibrantly colored trees luring his eyes towards them. he had tried to imagine what the opposite of this life would be like; little to no greenery, or any color, really, only knowing what you're shown, little to no freedom... he wouldn't last a day living like that.

they, he and the banditos, were to partake in a raid later that day. he hadn't planned on trying to find tyler this time, no, that day would need lots of thought and planning behind it. it may even be best for him to do it alone, that way not as many people would be put in harm's way. if he were to be caught, he could easily escape, seeing as he knows all of the ins and outs and the schedules of the bishops like the back of his hand.

the raids usually consisted of taking back or stealing supplies, seeing as the city was way more technologically advanced than the camp. how the fck did they have not one, but two rail way systems? maybe it had to do with nico's magic. he knew his parents were just as capable, it's just been difficult ever since nico had stolen their magic from them.

the sun had slowly begun to climb the horizon, and josh gently shook his mother awake.

"hey, mom," he whispered softly, "come on, let's get you inside."

he helped her to her feet, and led her back to the hut as she walked groggily along, eyes half open. his father was there waiting for him, the early bird of the family. josh avoided his disapproving eyes, knowing he'd receive a talk about another one of his "uncalled for late nights" that came as a result from another one of his "pointless and childish dreams".

of course, josh did his best not to let this get to him. besides, his mother always understood. his father, on the other hand, would always remind josh how happy and grateful he should be. of course it was a tragedy tyler had been taken, but at least it wasn't him. he needed to wake up from whatever haze he had his head in, and realize the obvious: tyler was gone, tyler is gone, and tyler will forever be gone.

this made no sense to josh, if the banditos were about saving others and returning those held captive home, why would he be so against finding tyler? it's just as dangerous as any other raid. at least in josh's mind. enter through the rail system, scope out the loot, be sure you're not being follow or watched, and check all signs for help.

really it wasn't too dangerous at all. it was quite simple actually. especially since they've started their raids in the very early morning hours instead of at night, most everyone had ended their watch shifts and gone to bed by that point.

once josh had returned his mother to her bed, he went to his own bedroom, and gathered his raid materials into his homemade drawstring bag. he walked over to his dresser, forcibly yanking his dark green hoodie off of its surface, the yellow tape needing to be switched out for more fresh pieces.

the bishops knew that yellow was really the only power the banditos could hold over them, the color being from the only flower that was not affected from nico's temporary poison when he had originally branched off from the camp. this was the only flower josh's parents could gather a smidge of magic from.. invisibility.

of course, there are only so many flowers, and making full articles of clothing from the dye would mean a quick shortage, so they resorted to dying tape. placing the tape on their clothes would at least somewhat successfully mask their presence. it also was not much of a hassle to use, and easy to make.

only the bishops could not see this color, where as for banditos it would make you stick out like a sore thumb. this was actually very helpful in locating each other during raids, and helped josh ensure that everyone was accounted for before returning home. although it seemed that many dema residents could also not see the color, and the rebels had yet to find out why.

after josh had gathered all the necessities, he walked out of his room, then walked into his father in the doorway. josh didn't dare look up at him, he could feel his eyes burning into the top of his skull just fine already. he glared at the ground, already knowing what was to be said to him.

"did you even sleep at all?" his voice was stern and low.

josh kept staring at the ground, eyebrows furrowed together.

"do you know the worry you put your mother through? joshua you've got to get over this. she worries enough about you not getting sleep, can you imagine the pain you'd put her through actually trying to find him?" josh knew if his mother wasn't here, his father's voice would be much louder.

"i'm not going to find him," josh spat back as he pushed passed his father before muttering, "at least not today."

josh felt a strong grip on his shoulder as he attempted to keep walking before it turned him around to face his father. his eyes seemed kind, and they could be. but a lot of the time, like right now, that was not the case.

"you listen very closely to what i'm about to say. you have two choices: hold your position as raid leader, and don't seek out tyler," he began, holding his serious glare.

"you are not about to say what i think you're going to say," josh shook his head slightly from side to side.

"as i said, you can keep your position, or you can seek out tyler and bring him here, lose your position, and most likely, the respect your people hold towards you as well." his father finished, slightly raising his tone.

"are you serious?" josh whispered harshly. "that is unbelievably unfair, you didn't even give him, or me, a chance! dad, i can do this, you just have to-"

he was cut off by his father's harsh voice, "the answer is no, joshua. he is not to come near our camp."

josh huffed as he pushed past his father, quickly exiting their hut as he adjusted the bag hanging on his shoulders.

a/n

shortish chapter because if i kept it all as one itd be way too long, oops