Chapter Eight

The next few days passed by excruciatingly slow. The Phantom hadn't shown any sign that he wanted to have a lesson, and I was getting annoyed. I was walking down the Parisian Opera House hallways with Christine and Meg after rehearsal, my legs about to fall off, when I heard a whisper from a dimly lit hallway. I craned my head around the corner to see if I could find the voice, but I snapped back to reality when Meg Giry asked me if I was enjoying my time at the Opera House.

    "Yes, I really am. Little Jammes is charming and sometimes La Sorelli is...entertaining. In truth, I feel like I am joining the Opera Populaire family!' I replied, complete truth in my answer.

    "Aww! We love you too, Colleen," Meg said, chuckling to herself. She turned to look at Christine and asked her, "How are you and le Vicomte doing?, with a shrug and a sly look. Christine immediately turned beet red.

    "Well... he wants to take me to the Autumn Dance! He makes me feel amazing inside! I feel as if I had finally found my Summer Prince. I feel as if Father is smiling down on me!" Christine replied, beaming from ear to ear. I was nervous about this Vicomte person at first, but he seemed to prove himself as a lover boy as time went on. However, his older brother, the Comte de Phillipe, seemed to be as annoying as ever. Anytime Raoul came to meet Christine, Phillipe always tagged along. While I don't mind brotherly love, he seemed more interested in me than his brother's blooming love.

    Christine shook me out of my train of thought by asking me, " Do you have any secret admirers, Colleen?" I shook my head as a slow smile came to my lips.

    "No, Christine. I do not fantasise about tall, handsome mean sweeping me away and falling in blissful love forever," I retorted, poking fun at my sister. However, I was being quite hypocritical, as my dreams at night had been some of the oddest sort.

    I have been almost asleep, hearing a voice calling what sounded like my name. I could swear it was my Maestro, but I wasn't sure. I was half-asleep, after all. My dreams were filled with singing and murder. The Phantom's voice acted like a sea siren would, luring me to a noose he would catch me with. He would hold me close, and, with our faces mere centimeters apart, the Phantom of the Opera would kill me.

    However, my dreams did not deter me in my mini-quest to find my Maestro for my singing lesson. They actually seemed to increase my need to see him more, for some reason. Yes, he was dangerous, but that seemed to increase the allure he had. It was as if we had a secret song, which made my soul feel complete.

    Turning around the corner, Meg, Christine and I reached our adjourning rooms, but Monsuier Friman and Andre, along with an unknown man were standing in front of it.

    "Good night, Daaé girls! See you tomorrow," Meg said, giving the men a side eye as she shut the door to her room. Christine and I stood in the candlelit hallway, looking at the men in front of our room expectantly.

    "Yes?" I asked, nervous about the reply. I hadn't done anything to warrant getting in trouble, but one never knows.

    Monsieur Firman gently took my elbow and started leading me down the hallway. I had the two manegers on my left and the stranger on my right. The stranger was a well dressed, older fellow, with kind eyes. He had a white mustasche, but he seemed like a grandfather.

    "May I ask what this is about?" I said, an air of annoyance in my breath.

    "Oh! Of course Miss Daaé." Andre said, acting like he forgot I was there. "We have to come to talk to you about... a... sticky situation you might have put yourself in." we strided down the hall as we came closer to the manager's office.

    This did nothing for my nerves. Did they find out about my connection with the Phantom? Were they going to kick me out of the opera house? Even worse, were they going to kill my Maestro?