Chapter 13: Gathering

"Call them now," Zulén ordered. "I'm calling a Gathering."

The young man Zulén called Tían's eyes widened. "What? B-but, my lord, today is-"

"Now," Zulén commanded authoritatively.

Tían jumped. "Yes, sir!" He turned away and ran toward the tower.

"A gathering?" I questioned as the young man disappeared into the doorway.

Zulén shouldered his bag and looked at me indifferently. "I did what you wanted. I got all the people required for the entrance examination. Now it's up to you if you pass or not."

"I...I see," I muttered. "Who are the people you mentioned? Teachers?"

Zulén's face twisted in some sort of irritation. "Not exactly. The people you are to meet are the Headmaster and the Select of Kurona Academy."

"Select?"

Zulén muttered something to Kaon, then turned and walked towards the tower. "The Select Seven, or Telēz Vys, the top seven ranking students of the Academy."

I trailed after him. "Students? Why would they be the ones to give the exam?"

"Normally, they wouldn't," Zulén sighed. "But this is an exception. They should be able to judge whether or not you are accepted."

"It's that simple?" I asked. "What am I supposed to do anyway?"

Zulén sighed again. "I honestly don't know. Those people are unpredictable. They don't get to examine new arrivals often, there's no telling what they'll have you do."

I looked up at Zulén curiously. He spoke as if he knew them personally. "Are you acquainted with the Select?"

Zulén shrugged, not turning his gaze from ahead. "You could say that."

We entered the tower and walked down dark hallways lined with strange pictures and dark doors. There was barely enough light to see three feet in front of us, but Zulén walked as if he knew exactly where he was going. There were dozens of twists and turns at every corner, yet he didn't seem fazed at all by its complexity.

Zulén suddenly stopped and I nearly ran into his back. He looked down as I straightened from my stumble. "Continue down this hall and stop at the door at the end. Don't go in until one of the helpers let you in. Once you go in, don't be rude or, well, your usual self."

My eye twitched in annoyance. "Sure. Whatever."

He stared at me for a second, then turned to go through a door I hadn't noticed before.

"Hey, wait a second," I said, grabbing his wrist thoughtlessly. "I'm going in alone?"

Zulén paused. He didn't say a word as he turned his eyes to stare at my hand around his wrist, then up at my face. I rolled my eyes as his eyes switched from my hand to my face over and over.

"Yes," he answered a moment later. "This is your test. I cannot hold your hand the whole time. You have to be able to stand on your own if you want to make it in this place. If you cannot do that, you'll get hurt long before you can even begin to grow stronger."

I pulled my hand from his wrist. "I understand. It was obvious I couldn't depend on you for everything." I smiled at him. "Thank you for all you've done up till now. I won't let it all, go to waste. I will definitely pass this test."

Zulén's expression didn't change. "We'll see." Then he turned and went through the door, shutting it behind him softly.

I continued down the hallway Zulén told me to go through. It wasn't long before I reached a tall brown door obviously created by praiseworthy craftsman. It was beautiful, but for some reason, I felt an overbearing feeling emanating from it. Maybe I was nervous or something, but I would go in. No matter what I would have to face.