Chapter 19: Teammates

A/N: Zulén? It gives nothing away so I'll upload this early.

The Festival of Spirits began with an opening ceremony at nearly the break of dawn. Some time in the dead of the night a huge stage was built in the field of high grasses behind the Academy, along with rows of seats that could seat at least a thousand. I didn't know how they got there, but they were there and almost the whole Academy was already seated by the time the sun was beginning to rise.

  The stage was made of stone, had a height of about four feet, a width of about fifty feet, and a length of at least a hundred feet. So, to put it frankly, it was rather large. The fact only a small portion of it was taken up by forty-three teachers, the Select, and the Headmaster, only made it seem bigger. Just like in the rows where students were abuzz with excitement, they were on the edges of their seats with anticipation.

  All talking ceased at once when Headmaster Kaelon stood and stepped up to the pedastal platooned at the centerfront of the stage. He had shredded his usual profressor-like clothing and took on outdoor wear. He wore a sleeveless white shirt with the insignia of Kurona Academy, black pants that seemed to be made out of leather, and white combat boots. His long strawberry blond curls were tied at the base of his neck. He grinned widely as he scanned the crowds.

  "Good morning. This is going to be quite the year, I can already tell," the Headmaster began, his voice carrying easily so all could be heard. "We've received quite the bounty of first years this year, and I expect some of you will show off your skills?"

  Almost every first year shouted their agreement. I smiled slightly, knowing less than a quarter of the one hundred and eight first years were participating were going to "show off their skills" in either of the upcoming tournaments.

  Headmaster Kaelon knew as well and arched a brow. "Did you hear that upperclassmen? Your juniors say they're going to show off what they've learned so far. Are you going to allow to allow them to win? Or are you going to show them how experienced you are?"

  Nearly all of the remaining five hundred and fifty-seven other students shouted. It was so deafening, I couldn't hear a single coherent cry. Headmaster Kaelon grinned at the response to his call and raised a hand for silence. Everyone fell silent and awaited his words. That was where I believed he was going to begin his motivational speech all leaders of distigushed positions seemed to have.

  I was wrong.

  "Let's not waste time with long speeches of what's to occur today." The Headmaster said with a nonchalant shrug as some of the teachers behind him frowned in disapproval. "Today has been highly anticipated by all. We all know why, so I'll move on quickly so we can begin. The first festivity officially starting the Festival of Spirits is the Team Tournament. Teams will be formed immediately after this 'speech' is done and the event will start. For now, I'll..." The Headmaster paused for a second. "No, let me change that. The event will start right now. I suggest you form your teams quickly. You have five minutes to gather five teammates. Those who are participating, please gather over there."

  The Headmaster gestured to several rows of white tents. There were about twenty-five of them, each around eight or nine feet tall. I'd been wondering what they were for. So they were for the Team Tournament's participants? Who'd have guessed?

   "Once you've formed a team, you will take up a temporary stay there for the durance of the tournament or until you are disqualified," the Headmaster continued, unaware of the surprised faces of those in front of and behind him. "Those of you participating, please proceed to form your teams. You have five minutes."