Chapter 33: The Dome

A/N: Hm, hello anyone who is still reading this! Sorry for the wait. I actually had this written for a while now but had no way to type it up...I was also lazy so very sorry! Anyway, enjoy this slow and short chapter. I wrote inanely long ones later on...I apologize now.

After turning in my card, I went to find Deth. Considering he was much stronger than I, I knew he'd definitely passed the qualifiers. I hadn't seen him since I'd went in the tent, but I could feel his presence somewhere nearby. I followed it half-mindedly as my thoughts involuntarily wandered back to what just occurred. Even though I'd just passed the qualifier I didn't feel like I'd one at all. Who would when they'd only taken out two from a total of twenty? Not to mention they would've lost hadn't the Headmaster concluded the qualifying round then and there.

I was vaguely aware as I bumped into someone's shoulder. "Sorry," I mumbled, not even glancing up as I passed them.

"What a surprise, you actually made it through."

I froze mid-step. That voice was familiar, though I'd only heard it once before. I turned and looked up slowly to the owner of the voice. I blinked in surprise. The person wore a cloak to hid their features but their hard brown eyes and equally hard aura made her easily recognizable. "You're-"

"I didn't expect you to pass the qualifiers," the woman interrupted. "Tenran told us you'd become quite strong, but I won't accept anything that beast says without seeing it with my own eyes." I opened my mouth but she went on. "If you are as good as he says, you should be able to win one or two more tines. Make it, and face me in the third round. Show me what you can do and maybe I'll accept you into the Academy. Win until then, little girl."

She turned away without another and I watched her walk away, bewildered. What was that about? I hadn't even gotten a word in. As I stared a t her retreating figure, I didn't notice Deth's presence into he was right behind

"Who were you talking to?" He asked less than a foot away and I jumped, spinning around to look up at him. Hazel eyes lazily solid to mine. "Why are you so jumpy?"

I breathed out deeply to calm my erratic heartbeat caused by surprise. "Don't do that. It's not good for my heart."

He looked at me blankly and I sighed. "That person was strong," he said, looking in the direction the woman went. "Though they hide their power, its obvious from the slight leak they are powerful. Possible among the high double-digits." He gazed at me again. "Maybe higher. Who was that, Lareria?"

I moved my eyes from his and glanced at the trail of soft yet hard aura left by the woman. "It was Sharín. The fourth ranker."

Deth's eyes twitched. "What? Why was one of the Select talking to you?"

I looked at him from the corner of my eye. Deth was, unlike his older sister, unaware of the situation with my uncertain position in the Academy. I briefly considered telling him, but decided against it. It wouldn't change anything if he knew so it didn't matter. Maybe I'd tell him once the whole situation had blown over.