11: our time is running out

to refresh your memory-- remember that brief line in chapter two in which Merlin talks about the neckerchief he got from his suitor/close friend? it may be helpful to keep this in mind, as i'm sure many of you glossed over it (as it was meant to be at the time!)

-----

In three days time, the druids arrived.

Merlin was tired from the night before. He wasn't able to sleep— not just from the anticipation of seeing his old friends again, but because, as usual, Merlin can't figure out where he stands with Arthur.

Last night, just as he was turning the knob to his bedchamber, Arthur had suggested (quite firmly in fact) that he bunk with Gaius and Hunith for the night. Merlin had immediately asked why, and if there was something wrong, but Arthur would not answer. He only kept giving uneasy glances at Merlin's door.

So, Merlin thought, it had boiled down to the dread of having to spend another night in such close proximity. Let him not forget how, after waking up cuddling in the morning, Arthur moved him to the farthest point in the corridor in his horror.

Yes, one time was enough for him, apparently. Merlin and his big ears were so repulsive that they were simply not welcome anymore.

Nevertheless, Merlin was determined to keep a positive attitude and focus on the arrival of the druids.

He didn't know how to act, to be frank. He tried to go along with his duties like normal, just passing the time, but all day long he felt this bubble of excitement in his chest, swelling in each minute that ticked past.

Even the knights noticed. "You look like a kid on Beltane, Merlin," Leon had commented at training earlier that day. But he couldn't help it. He missed the druids— leaving Camelot as he did left a gaping hole in him, one that the druids' friendship and kindness filled. He will always love them as if he'd known them his whole life. And although he had no idea which druids would come (as some at least had to stay home to watch over the camp), he would be glad to see any one of them.

Merlin was pleased to note that Morgana made an appearance at their training today. Since she still couldn't practice magic without Arthur finding out, the only thing she really contributed was snarky comments no one else could hear and, when Arthur allowed Merlin a break and they went magic-free, kicking some beefy ass on the field with her sword.

She warmed up like that now, making bold and strategic swings at Gwaine, while Merlin took a breather. She was winning, and Gwaine had to keep reminding her that all we are doing is warming up!, but that was to be expected. Gwaine was the one who had unwisely asked why she was here, after all.

"I'm looking forward to seeing Healer Baldwin," Merlin told Leon. "He was probably my best friend. We worked alongside each other in the healer's tent, mostly fixing up the kids— magical children play dirty— but he's the best and— oof!"

Merlin was knocked to the ground, seeing stars in his vision, and he heard the clinking of metal and armour together. When he looked over at Leon, he was fighting a stony-faced, grumpy Arthur, who was leading a rather vicious attack.

You've done it this time. He heard Morgana's giggle ring in his head. He groaned. Someone's jealous! she said in a sing-song.

Merlin shook his head. He focused on blocking every blow to Leon while Leon handled the offensive aspects. Even caught unawares, they won the battle. It was pretty amazing how they'd all come to learn to work together, to instinctively get a grasp on strengths and weaknesses, in such a short period of time.

"Merlin! That was awesome!" Percival called, jogging over to them. "What does it feel like, to do magic like that? Oh, do you say a spell in your head? Did you say a spell at all? Hey, can you—"