Midnight in the Forest

Mortars blasted through the air, screams of wounded men and women, the blood from other staining her uniform. The soldiers fell back but she had to go forward. That was her job.

"Medic?" a soft voice whispered from under some rubble

The blood crackled in his lungs, a trickle coming out the soldiers mouth. He would die out here.

"I'm here. I'll take you back to camp" she told him calmly, pressing down on the gunshot wound on his chest

"We both know I'm dead. Make sure my daughter knows" he choked out before gasping and falling still.

She had screamed that time. Anger at the sky. A void that couldn't contain her rage. So much needless death. Calling for an air vac, she waited by his side, pistol poised to take out any further attacks.

No human should ever have to do this to another human.

Eve woke up sweaty, pillows and sheets tossed around the room. Post traumatic stress disorder is what the doctors said. What the therapists worked her through. But to her, it was a continual dark cloud. Having a diagnosis meant nothing if she couldn't live in peace.

The first two weeks at Hogwarts threw her for a loop. Rogue spells ran through the halls, nearly knocking her off her feet. The professors treated her skeptically as an outsider; especially as an outsider paired up with Severus. The stairs moved, leaving her stranded for over an hour while Severus fumed that she wasn't nearby to help him take vitals and check symptoms. The house elves beckoned to her every whim, with delightful servitude; which she didn't enjoy. She chatted with Pearl, the elf designated to her room, every night.

Severus' demeanor hadn't improved. If anything he was getting more surly. He could pretend all he wanted that he hated everyone, but no one who truly hated in their soul would stay and brew continuous potions in an attempt to save students' lives. He got easily frustrated because nothing worked. The students were deteriorating, bodies losing weight as they lay in bed unable to move. The magical hospital wouldn't take them because their sickness had yet to be diagnosed and they didn't want to risk the spread.

A heavy knock came at the door. Looking out the window, she posited the time to be around two am; the sky ink black and burning with stars.

"Come in" she yelled, picking up the debris from her unconscious freak out

Severus walked in carefully, surveying the scene with one eyebrow lifted before remarking quietly

"You were screaming at the top of your lungs. Pearl woke me up in a fright"

Poor elf. She had no idea what life with a non-magical human looked like.

"I'll apologize to her in the morning. Sorry she woke you" Eve said, too tired and worn out to be sarcastic

A knowing glance passed over Severus' face as he magically tidied up her room with a swish. Ten minutes worth of work done in a flash.

"Nightmares" he stated, settling into an arm chair near the fireplace which still housed glowing orange embers

She could lie. Tell him it was none of his smug business. She was still mad at him for how he treated her. Like a bother. An underling. Not worthy of respect. But it would serve no purpose. They were both in the trenches again.

And her body bore the weight of exhaustion.

"Yes. Just like every night" she admitted, sitting in the chair beside him