My Floating Companion

He sits beside me and looks at the night starry sky not even a slight clue of worry in his face. "Wow. The night sky is beautiful right?" He marvels and out of nowhere, he brings out his axe base and starts strumming, "This really makes me wanna sing a song."

SING!? He is unbelievable... Before he could start, I cut him off, "Marshall Lee, why are you making fun of me like this!?" I abruptly start and make his jaw already dropped to say something, close and swallow hard.

"Okay, I know and completely understand that you are this kinda person, and I respect that, but you knew in the first place that I was grieving in there, still, you barged yourself in, flew me out, almost got me killed and you brought me here, a hundred miles away from home and now you'll sing to me? DO YOU STILL THINK THIS IS FUNNY!? I should've known what an insensitive person you are!" I fume out, my eyes starting to pool in tears.

Before I could even cry in front of him, I had to stand up and leave to walk home. He doesn't even say a word and just lets me go.

I walk and cause an awkward silence in between us and only the crickets chirping from the bushes behind the woods are making noises.

When I felt his grip on my wrist, I stopped walking and turned around.

I turned to see a sorry Marshall and his smile erased in an instant, "I'm, I'm, sorry. I didn't mean to be so insensitive." He stammers as he rubs the nape of his neck in frustration, "I, I uh, wasn't making fun of you. I was actually trying to make you smile and forget all the troubles that -pause- Gumwad has made you feel."

With his sincere words, I instantly forget the anger in my mind. My heart flutters and I cringe away his gaze in embarrassment for not realizing his sincerity towards me. Now I know, he did hear my grieving words in there.

He coos, "I know how terrible you felt. I just thought I could help you ease the pain a little, and I'm sorry again... "

"Really," I ask in awe, voice dripping with sarcasm, "How would you help a grieving friend? By dropping them 40 feet from the ground?"

"No!" He abruptly answers as he excitedly pulls my hand to a near cliff I didn't even notice.

"I assume you're gonna push me off this cliff and make me fall not 40 feet but a hundred. Is that it?" I slurred.

"See those crows on the trees?" He asks pointing at the thick, dark, woods, down the cliff. I nod in response. "You could yell all your troubles at them and you'll see a magical view under their spots."

"Anything would do? Even a curse?" I ask and he gladly replies with, "Anything..."

I excitedly position myself facing the woods down the cliff and my hands hovered around my mouth to yell louder but before I could start I get worried I might get punched down this cliff by Marshall. I know he's a little insane sometimes.

"Are you sure you're not gonna push me?" I ask with one brow raised and crossed arms.

He simply replies with an, "Of course not!" and a wide grin on his face. I don't seem to trust a wide grin on a cute vampire's face.

Uh, I meant, a SCARY vamp's face. SCARY! Okay?! DON'T THINK I LIKE HIM OR SOMETHING! Dammit!

"I doubt that," I say crossing arms, "...is this some kind of a crazy trust exercise!?"

"Well, yes, kinda..." He replies, unsure what to say, "But it's something much more different. Trust me, you'll love it!"

"Why am I gonna love falling off a cliff?!" I start.

"I already told you! I WON'T PUSH YOU! Geez..." He raises his tone which startles me makes me flinch.

"Fio, trust me on this!" he says offering his hand and looks deep into my eyes. He's really adorable when he does that, I have to admit. KYAAAAHAHA! I wanna shriek so loud and punch him.. and heal his bruise after. GLOB I'm weird!!!

"You don't understand!! This is so much pressure to handle... Right now, CROSS YOUR HEART!" I abruptly say pointing a finger at his face, which startles him. He immediately follows as I say and crosses his finger on his heart, "HOPE, TO, DIE!" I say word for word making it all register properly in his mind. He immediately raises his right arm and says the same words.

I scrutinize him everywhere if he's crossing any fingers at him, even his toes, and when I found he isn't I'm finally convinced and he lets out a big 'phew' and wipes the sweat at his forehead with his right hand and a deep chuckle.

I position myself again in the same stance a moment ago and shriek at the top of my lungs with all my might and all my anger left, "WOOOMBAAALL! YOU JEEERK! WHY CAN'T YOU, TREAT ME, THE WAY I TREAT YOU, BAAACK!??" after those I pant and grab a hold of my knees and with every last word ending, an echo trails off.

Marshall prods me a bit to make me look and my jaw drops to gasp and my eyes widen to look more closely. The view was amazing! Some crows were flying away on every echo bouncing back. It's THAT amazing because it's funny... and weird! I giggle in excitement with the heavy feeling in my chest lightens a tad bit up and replaces itself with pure bliss. I merely forget every troubles and worries in an instant.

I hear Marshall giggling a bit from behind me, "You see what I mean--"

I cut him off with a tight hug as I rest my chin up on his shoulder and without a single word he understood my appreciation. I couldn't speak, I'm quite overwhelmed.

He brings me home after. By the time I landed safely on my wooden floor through the open window, I knew I had to break this deafining silence between us, "Marshall. Hey, uh. I just wanna tell you how much I appreciated your effort in helping me forget that sick thing I was grieving at. I'm now really okay." I say in bliss and a cheery smile on my face.

"Well, well that's great." He smiles back.

"I mean, if falling 40 feet from the ground still don't make you forget a stupid little thing, then I suggest you've got a problem." I tease and tap his shoulder bidding him good bye and he chuckles, jumps out of the window and leaves, just in time before Cake comes in and sees him in my room.

I mean, she might start concluding stuff like, you know what I mean... A guy, in a room of a girl, all alone together, at night.. Subtle stuff like that. It's just... Meh...