Chapter 8 Kingly Lesson

Orys had been in the training yard waiting for his father to show up so that Robert could watch him train. Orys waited twenty minutes, but the king never showed up. Disappointed and angry, Orys started his lessons with Ser Aron. Orys went on the offensive aggressively. He was putting all of his strength into each blow. And since he was angry, his magic enhanced his strength, but he was still no match for Ser Aron. Orys was using brute force; he wasn't thinking.

It didn't take long for Ser Aron to get Orys to yield, “You're not using your head, My Prince. You're letting your anger blind you. My Prince, you must be able to keep calm in stressful situations so that you can think clearly.”

Orys wanted to throw his sword down and storm off, but he knew that was unbecoming of a prince, and it was a bratty thing to do. So he stayed and took deep calming breaths to bring his anger under control, once he was calm, Ser Aron addresses him, “What has you so upset, Orys?”

“My father said that he would come to watch me train and he didn't come. Father has never broken a promise to me.” Orys told the Dornishman.

“Maybe something came up?”

“Father would still make an effort, or a least send a note.”

At that moment, a runner came into the training yard and ran up to the training circle where Orys and Ser Aron were training. Ser Arys Oakheart stopped the runner and took the note from him, “My Prince, you have been summoned to the war room by the king.”

“Does it say why?”

“No, only that's it urgent.”

Ser Aron quickly helped Orys take off his padding. Orys took a cloth and wiped his arms and face to clean some of the sweat off of him, then he and Ser Arys left to go the war room. Orys walked into the war room where he saw his father, Jon Arryn, his uncles, Ser Barristan, and several generals looking over a map of Westeros.

Robert looked up when he heard the door open, “Orys, you're here good.”

Orys walked up to his father, who picked him up and stood him in a chair next to him so that Orys could see the map, “What's going on, father?”

“A rebellion has started, my son. Balon Greyjoy has declared himself king and is rebelling against the crown.” Robert informed his firstborn.

Orys's lip curled in disgust.

“Victarion burned the Lannister fleet in Lannisport. He tossed the first torch onto the flagship of Lord Tywin Lannister,” Sirius informed his brother.

“Is Grandfather alright,” Orys asked.

“Aye, your grandfather is fine, but many people have died,” Robert said.

“Your Grace, is it appropriate for the Prince to be here for this discussion?” Maester Marwyn asked.

“My son will have to learn how to rule and with ruling comes having to prevent rebellions and how to fight them,” Robert explained.

Robert went back to looking at the map, “With the Lannister fleet destroyed, there's no doubt that their next goal will be Seagard in the Riverlands,” Robert turned to Sirius, “Send an owl to Lord Tully and see if they need reinforcements.”

Sirius had trained owls to send letters from the royal family instead of using the Citidel's ravens. They were faster, more intelligent, and more reliable. The owls knew to give the notes to the correct person and wait for a response. Plus, Sirius disillusioned them so that the enemy could not shoot them down.

Sirius quickly wrote the note and left for the Royal Owlery. He called one of the owls to him, “To Hoster Tully and wait for a response.” The owl hooted in response and flew out the window.

Sirius returned to the war room and informed Robert that the owl was on its way. Robert nodded, and they continued to plan. The plan was to have Stannis joined the royal fleet with the Redwyne fleet from the Arbor and ships from Oldtown. While  Robert called the Banners and sailed to the Pike to lay siege, he wanted his friend Lord Eddard Stark to call his Bannermen and meet him there.

Once the meeting was over, Robert put Orys down and took him by the hand, and they went to have dinner with the family. Orys looked up at his father, “Father is there enough time?”

“Time for what, my boy?”

“To get my armor so that I can go with you.”

Robert stopped in the middle of the hallway and stared down at his son, “You're not coming, Orys.”

“But Father, you said I had to know how to rule in times of war. How am I to rule if I don't fight my own battles.”

Robert kneeled, “Orys, this isn't your battle, this is mine. You are only five name days old. You cannot come with me. I'm sorry.”

“But who is going to protect you?”

Robert chuckled, “I don't need to be protected, and even if I did, Ser Barristan would be there and most of the King's guard, including your Uncle Jaime.”

Orys scowled at hearing his Uncle Jaime was going to be there. It wouldn't surprise him if Uncle Jaime took the opportunity to try to kill his father.

“Your Uncle Sirius will be with me too.”

That made Orys relax a little, but he was still upset, “You need me!”

“Aye, I need you to take care of your mother and brother. Your mother may be having another baby, and she's going to be very upset that I'm gone. You have to stay and help her, and Jon with whatever may come up.”

Orys stamped his foot, his anger starting to get the best of him, “NO! I NEED TO BE WITH YOU!” Orys yelled and stomped off.

Robert watched his son storm away and shook his head, Orys was a true Baratheon, letting his temper get the better of him, “ORYS, COME BACK HERE THIS INSTANT!” Robert bellowed.

Orys stopped dead in his tracks, Robert could see Orys's shoulder shaking, and he realized his son was crying. Robert stood up and walked towards Orys. The little boy looked up at his father with tears running down his face. Robert picked up his son and cuddled him into his chest, “I don't want you to go,” Orys said between hiccups.

“I have to go, my boy.”

“I don't want you to die.”

“I'm not going to die, Orys. I'm Robert Baratheon, the Demon of the Trident. No one is going to kill me. besides Uncle Sirius and his magic, I won't get hurt.”

Orys gasped, “You know Uncle Sirius has magic?”

“Aye, I do. I didn't know you did.”

Orys looked down; he looked up Robert, “Have magic too,” Orys whispered.

Robert's eyes widen, “You do, Orys, why didn't you tell me?” Robert whispered.

“I was scared you would hate me.”

Robert hugged his son tightly, “I could never hate you, Orys, I love you with all my heart. And I am glad you told me about your magic. We need to make time for you to train with your uncle so that you have as much control over it as he does, alright?”

“Alright, Father.”

“But that will be after we return. So, can you be a big boy and watch after your mother and brother?”

Orys got a determined look in his blue eyes, “Yes, Father, I will watch over my family. You don't have to worry; I'll keep them safe.”

“Good, lad, now let's go to dinner.”