28: Ending

JIMIN

"Hey."

I hold her hands in mine, my voice tearing up a bit with that one word. She presses back with her cold palms, but doesn't say anything.

"I'm sorry." I whisper, my cheeks flushing with anger. I couldn't believe I'd been too late. That I hadn't been able to get to her in time.

I'd heard from Taehyung.

"Will you— say something, please?" I murmur, pleading with her as she just looks down at our clasped hands. I've never seen her like this before, and it makes me want to slit someone's throat.

"Just anything?"

She swallows, blinking now. My eyes are clear now, but they blur again, with tears. I bury my face in my sleeves.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

I hadn't been there when she'd needed me the most. Instead I'd acted like a child, letting my emotions get best of me that night.

I don't realize I'm breathing roughly until I feel her hand patting against the top of my head, in soft taps. And somehow that makes me cry even harder.

"......Min."

My eyes flash up, wide and hopeful. She's looking at me, moving her lips like she wants to say something. But there's no sound, and she just breathes.

Then she reaches up, wiping my tears away from my eyes and cheeks. She cracks a weak smile, tapping a fingertip at the red lids.

I can almost hear her, in that teasing voice.

Stop crying, you little idiot. Look at your eyes, it's all swollen up now.

I tackle her into the bed. She raises an eyebrow as I wrap my arms around her shoulders, my body shaking in relief.

"You're back." I breathe, blinking furiously. "I'm sorry. Can you talk? Does it hurt to? You don't have to if you don't want to, I won't push you at all. It's just that—"

She smiles a bit wider, and pinches at my cheeks.

Slow down.

Then the corner of her lips tilts up in that mischievous smirk. I almost start crying again, seeing her slowly come back to herself. She'd been so unresponsive even when we'd gotten back to the North, and for days after that.

So you've warmed up to me now?

"Yes." I say, burying her in my chest and squeezing her tight. "I'm sorry for acting like a child and a baby. And I already warmed up to you weeks and weeks ago. So don't do that again to me, please."

"Please?"

She just makes the babying expression at me, but I let her. I let her completely as she kisses my face, ruffles at my hair. It's what I'd missed— I never realized how much I missed her.

Then she suddenly sits up.

"Tae."

She says, tilting her head with a more serious expression. Then she points at the door, shrugging her shoulders.

"Taehyung is going to be happy." I say, and climb off the bed. I'm about to help her down when she makes a face, her expression so clear I can read it like a book.