Chapter 13

1493.

Eve sat in the dirty prison, awaiting her execution. She knew that she was the only one to blame, she had let her love of the town draw her back far too soon. She knew not who it was who ratted her out, but it didn't much matter to her.

She certainly did not have a shortage of company. The entire town, it seemed, was now armed and taking shifts guarding her cell so that the proclaimed witch could not escape. They were wise to do that; Eve could have easily broken the chains securing her to the wall, but she did not have the heart to murder innocent villagers who believed that they were doing their part to purge the town of sin.

She sat on the dirt covered floor, a single tear rolling down her cheek as she stared directly forward, although her gaze was soft and did not take in any of her surroundings. All the while, those meant to be guarding her threw insults, thinking that they were proving themselves aligned with God against the devil now trying to weasel his way into their lives.

-

(Olivia's POV):
Breakfast with Loki was an oddly enjoyable experience, yet it was tainted by my growing feelings for him. I tried to keep reminding myself who he was, yet even with all of the bad he had done, I had felt the torment and the agony that he had gone through. I couldn't bring myself to blame him for what happened in New York, at least not the hatred that I had held for him at the time. But still, I knew that even being attracted to him was wrong and that made enjoying the food that Loki and I had created less enjoyable.

After finishing cleaning the dishes from breakfast, I went into my room so that I could get changed. I could remain in pajamas for the day as I did not have anything to do before Tyler's work function that was taking place in the evening, but I had grown used to having to get dressed every day and it was a habit that stuck with me all these years later.

The door of my room opened and Loki strutted inside, not seeming to care that I had closed myself in for privacy. I quickly threw on some pants and yelled at him, "Loki, what the hell do you think you're doing?"

"Your stupid bird won't shut up, I was hoping that you could go give it a treat or something." As he spoke as I frantically searched through my closet for a shirt, thankful that I was at least covered by a bra.

"You can't just give him a treat to make him shut up, Loki, that would be rewarding him for bad behavior. Besides, he probably thinks that something's wrong, you have to figure out why he's squawking. Now, if you don't mind, I would prefer it if you left my room. I don't know how you do it on Asgard, but here women prefer not to change in front of random men."

He rolled his eyes at my comment, "I really don't care about what you look like half-naked, Liv. Although I am curious about that scar on your stomach."

I fought the urge to look down at what he was referring to, the sight made me sick. I brushed him off as I threw a shirt over it, "it's nothing, just from a surgery I had when I was younger."

"I may not know much about midgardian surgery, but I know that that is no surgical scar." He took a step closer and place a hand on the hem of my shirt. "May I?"

I knew that it was pointless to keep him from looking at it, he would find a way to do so with my consent or not, so I gave him a small nod. His finger traced the wound lightly, making me curse my realization of the feelings I had for him. Now every interaction we had was clouded, my heart quickening when he touched me or even just met my eyes.

"Do you have healing powers or is your body just more resilient than a typical mortal's?"

His question caught me off guard, not understanding how he went from a scar to his obsession with my powers.