Chapter 30

1986.

"Silvie!" The young girl smiled, seeing the woman who had come to visit her.

Sylvia sat down next to her on the bed and handed her a box of chocolates, "hey, Ava, how are you feeling today?"

She gave a small shrug. "The same, the doctors still don't know what to do to make me better. I don't think anyone does."

"Hey, don't say that," Sylvia spoke softly, brushing a few strands of loose hair behind Ava's ear. "We'll find someone."

Ava glanced down at her feet and played nervously with her hands. "I had another visitor yesterday who claimed he wanted to help."

"Who?" Sylvia's brows furrowed and she suddenly felt very protective of the young girl.

"He said he was from an organization called SHIELD. Do you know about them?"

Sylvia bit her lip and nodded. "I do not know much, I have been successfully avoiding them for much of my life. But they're supposed to be the good guys, so perhaps they can help you. Besides, I can only be a friend, I cannot help relieve the pain or control what is happening to you. They have scientists and hopefully the research to help you. But if you decide to go with them, you promise me that you will let me know if you want out, ok?"

Ava nodded and wrapped her arms around Sylvia's body, but her arms fell right through and she fell onto the bed. Sylvia did not miss the tears in Ava's green eyes and her heart ached for the poor girl. She could never comprehend the pain that Ava was going through after losing both parents then being cursed with molecular disequilibrium. Maybe SHIELD was the best place for her, despite how wary Sylvia was when it came to government-run organizations such as them.

-

(Olivia's POV):
I tried to keep my focus on the person I was ordered to protect. I understood the order, he was a king and I was the best warrior that they had on the field. But for years I had been protecting Audun, being apart in battle was not something I felt comfortable with.

Even though our opponents were mere rebels, a cluster of upset citizens who did not believe in the unification of Norway and who disliked the ideals of Christianity that King Olaf II was trying to usher inland, they were proving to be a formidable force. I did not entirely agree with King Olaf forcing those who did not want to be a part of the empire he dreamed of, but as part of the army, it was my duty to serve my ruler. Besides, if I opposed, I was afraid to lose my position. As it was, it was only my powers that allowed me to serve, I was the only female in a battalion of men.

And, if I were to desert, then I would lose the man I had fallen in love with during our time fighting side by side. Audun did not see me because of my powers, but rather because of my skills with the sword. He did not care that I was over sixty yet looked to be in my late teens, he did not care about all of inexplicable things about me. He was the first person I had truly loved, the first person who saw me as a person and not an angel.

But while I would typically be fighting right at his side, making sure he stayed safe on the battlefield, we were now hundreds of soldiers apart. I could not help but send him a number of glances throughout the battle, despite my order being to protect the King.

I felt something off, causing me to glance over at him again and screamed out when I noticed the rebel sneaking up on him from behind. My words were lost beneath the sounds of battle and without being at his side, there was no way to stop the sword from piercing him. I became a target as I flew across the battlefield, the slew of arrows forcing me to land and run the rest of the way to Audun's fallen body.