Chapter 4: AJ

After 6 years with Austin, being single is pretty new to me again. 

It would also be the first that I'll be single after graduating so I was curious how it works for working people. 

Will I randomly click with a stranger in a bar? 

Will I accidentally bump into someone in the bookstore? 

Or will I get along with a classmate in a grad school?

It's definitely a lot different this time around. 

But maybe, just maybe, I should really just enjoy being single for once.

I placed my focus in my work, especially so that a couple of guys left the company and that left me with tons of things to do. 

One of those who left was a friend from human resources, and her replacement is coming soon. 

I heard he's mainly going to be a corporate nurse but he'll do admin stuff on the side. 

I thought it would be cool since my ex was a nurse. Maybe I can be friends with him.

His first day came, and he got introduced to everyone.

 His name is AJ. Kind of cute, to be honest. And I can sense a possibility that he's not straight. 

We were told he's from this rather strict religion. The kind that shuns homosexuality.

So okay, maybe my gaydar is wrong after all, so I just brushed it off as a cute guy who's just fun to look at but can never be a dating prospect.

During that time, I just had pile of work to do and as soon as one work gets done, another pops instantly. 

Noting my contributions to the company, and that I sort of represent this dying department because I am the only person doing this departments tasks, I was invited to join the out-of-town strategic planning activity that the company's executives will be holding. 

AJ's also coming along to assist his boss.

When we got to the venue, the first thing discussed was room assignments. AJ and I are going to share a room together.

"This is interesting," I thought to myself.

After the sessions on the first day, the executives, with AJ and I included, had a little socialization over wine. 

We had some story-sharing, some of which were quite deep and personal. 

I honestly don't remember what I said, because we had quite a lot of wine back then.

When finished the last bottle, we went to our rooms. 

After taking a shower, AJ and I had a little sharing of our own.

A little intoxicated, I was brutally honest, so I ended up coming out to him and telling him about my failed relationship. 

He didn't seem surprised by my revelation, and he seemed okay with it, so I guess we were fine. 

Not long after finishing my story, I fell asleep.

The second day of the planning activity came and went, and then we had a fancy dinner after. 

Yes, wine was involved again. Both of us were just new with drinking wine so we our tolerance is not as strong yet.

When we went back to our room, AJ said "I was supposed to tell you something last night."

"Oh, you were?" I said.

"Yeah, but you fell asleep, you little drunkard," he teased.

"Sorry," I replied with a guilty smile.