Chapter 9: "Train!" Part 2

After the boys argued it out for a bit, you and Teddy decided to just start walking. The other 3 trailed behind you, Chris slowly drifting closer to you.

Vern seemed the most nervous about crossing the train track bridge, opting to shuffle along on his hands and knees whilst your brother ambled behind him.

You walked swiftly along up front with Teddy and Chris, often making eyes at the latter. You wondered what could be going on in that mind of his, thinking back to the moment the two of you had a little ways back. You wondered what this meant for you in the future.

Your nerves were slightly on edge as you stepped from plank to plank with your boys trailing behind. You had overtaken the two that you were walking with, and it felt as if your legs were on fire. A small bump startled you, looking back to watch Vern mourn the loss of his comb to the wrath of the river below.

You chuckled, and the momentary blip caused you to stop walking, allowing Chris to catch up with you, chuckling slightly.

"Hey," he said with a sly grin.

"Hey yourself," you returned, equally sly.

You both looked ahead, but you could almost hear the wheels turning in Chris's brain, obviously overthinking something small.

You let out a small gasp when he slipped his hand into yours, startling your already tense body, but readily accepting the gentle touch. You glanced up to meet his eyes and gave a light smile that he returned and you continued to walk, holding Chris's calloused hand. 

Behind the two of you was Teddy. He watched the interaction in a betrayed silence. He stared daggers into the place you were connected to Chris. His scowl was apparent when you turn slightly to check on him. He jumped slightly and gave you a clearly fake smile. Something was obviously going on with your best friend. You turned forward again and tightened your grip on Chris's hand, causing him to flush slightly and shoot you a grin. Unbeknownst to you and Chris, Teddy scratched at his hand, bringing it close to his chest, scowl falling back onto his face.

Everyone was thrown out of their thoughts as Gordie's voice rang out over the near silent ravine. 

"TRAIN!"

You whipped your head around to see Gordie and Vern speeding up, and a steady trail of smoke rising above the treeline. You turn to Chris with a worried look as he encourages you to run along with grabbing Teddy and ushering him forward.

Your heart pounded as you looked behind you to see Vern still crawling on the ground, and your brother trying to help him up. 

Vern laid flatten to the tracks, too terrified to get up, as Gordie screamed at him that they were going to die. Eventually Vern stood and the two were running again, this time as fast as they could.

Teddy, Chris, and you ran to the sounds of Gordie's angry and terrified screams as well as the deafening honk of the train's whistle. 

The three of you made it to the end of the bridge and watched, eyes wide and mouths agape, as the train sped closer and closer to the other boys. 

Teddy and Chris screamed at the others while you stood there shaking and shocked, unable to make a sound. 

Just as it seemed to be too late for Gordie and Vern, they jumped and dove to the side of the track, just put of the way of the train. 

You let out a huff of breath that you didn't know you were holding as you rushed to check on your brother. You jumped down next to where he and Vern laid on the ground and helped the two pf them to their feet. 

"Hey," all heads turned to Chris, "at least we know when the next train is due."

You giggled while Teddy rolled his eyes.