Day Twenty-Seven

I shot up from my sleep. I had the craziest dream! I was eating the biggest plate of french toast ever when it suddenly started crying. That was so strange. What could that mean? But then the sound of crying began to echo throughout the hall and then headed to the room. But it doesn't sound like normal crying. It's almost like a robot was doing a bad impression of a sad child.

Lottie had gotten up and looked at me.

"Are those babies!?"

Babies?!

Noah and Hope sat up in their bed as Lottie started climbing out of hers. I looked over and Bobby had a pillow over his head.

"What's going on?"

"Hun, there are babies!"

He pulled the pillow off his head and his hazel eyes were wide with excitement.

"Really? Yay!"

I laughed as he pulled me out of bed and we rushed down the hall.

"Babies!" Noah shouted. I grabbed his arm and smiled at the several cots that had the couples' names on them. We moved forward slowly and noticed they weren't real babies. They were dolls. The side of Noah I loved the most had finally come out to shine.

"Oh my goodness, Lottie. Yours is adorable!" Noah smiled down at the baby that looked like a combo of her and Gary. I smiled down at all of them and then felt arms wrap around my waist. Bobby was looking down with me at the doll that would be our daughter.

We heard Chelsea naming her Baby Bubbly, Lottie named her's Larry, Noah named their baby Brenden... to Hope's dismay. Jo and Ibrahim didn't know what to name theirs. Typical... Hannah and Neil named their Romeo... even though Neil wanted Dale. I always hated that name.

"Well good morning, Ruby," I said lifting her in my arms.

"Ruby... I've always loved that name. It's been on my list forever."

"You've had a list?!"

"Well..." his cheeks blushed. "I've always wanted kids."

"Can someone please shut this noise up?" It was Hope. Why am I not surprised? She and Noah began bickering.

"What's the key ingredient in raising a kid?" Gary asked.

"A heaping spoonful of love. A dash of nurturing and care. And... dad jokes!" Bobby smiled and jostled with Gary. While they were goofing around Noah was cradling his doll.

"Shhh, little one. I've got you."

I stood back for a moment and watched him. Noah was a dad. He was a complete natural. He was someone who deserved a person who wanted to be a mother. He didn't deserve Hope. She and he were going to be the ones who ended it by the time we got back for the reunion show. Noah and I were good. We got through that weirdness. He, Lottie, and I were the only ones who had calmed our babies. Lottie had already dressed hers up.

There was a litany of baby clothes and I told Bobby which ones to grab. There was a small dress covered in sparkles and had a picture of a cupcake on it. I began to put on the outfit and everyone started aw-ing at us.

"That one is Bobby and Krystal to a tee!" Ibrahim said smiling.

A text came in and we had to take care of the dolls like they were real. The couple that could keep their baby happy the longest could win a special prize.

I DON'T LOSE!

---

The way she looked with that baby doll was the way Bobby had always envisioned her. She was excited and happy. She knew how to feed it, clean it, and play with it. Bobby felt a little jealous that she was spending so much time with the baby.