Chapter 44

I totally forgot to add her wand in the outfit set, so just pretend it's there please :) 

"You're sure about this, Neville?" Harry asked, grabbing the two slimey Gillyweed's out of Neville's hand. 

"Absolutely." Neville nodded. Harry handed me a lump. 

"For an hour?" I raised an eyebrow. How could a plant help us breathe underwater for an hour?

"Most likely." Neville mumbled. 

"Most likely?" Harry repeated. 

"Well, there is some debate among herbologists as the effects of fresh water versus salt water, but-" Harry cut Neville off. 

"You're telling us this now? You must be joking!" Harry hissed. 

"I just wanted to help." Neville frowned. 

"We know that, Neville. We will work with what we've got." I said. 

"That makes you a right sight better than Ron and Hermione. Where are they, anyway?" Harry asked. 

"I didn't see Hermione this morning, although I did wake up fairly later than I usually do." I shrugged. 

"You seem a little tense, Harry." Neville pointed out. 

"Do I?" Harry scoffed, before getting into a boat. 

"Welcome to the Second Task! Last night, something was stolen from each of our Champions. A treasure of sorts. These four treasures, one for each Champion, now lie on the bottom of the Black Lake. In order to win, each Champion need only to find their treasure and return to the surface." Dumbledore explained, his voice being amplified by his wand. I handed my clothes to Seamus and Dean, who neatly folded the clothes, and set them to the side. 

"Put those in your mouths." Moody hissed at us while pushing Harry forwards. I nodded to Cedric who was beside me, before gulping the thick plant down. Harry began choking, making me snort. 

"You may begin at the sound of the canon." Dumbledore stated, and a second later, the canon was fired. Fleur, Krum, Cedric, and I all dove in immediately, and began looking around. Harry looked like he was shoved in.

I had to admit, the sensation I was feeling was a little weird, but Harry was being a little dramatic about everything. I rolled my eyes at him, before looking at my hands. There was webbing between my fingers and toes, and gills formed on my neck. 

"This is freaky." I spoke to Harry, before covering my mouth in shock. "We can talk underwater, too?" 

"This is amazing!" Harry corrected, before jumping out of the water. The crowd cheered, and I shook my head. 

"Come on, Harry. We've got to find your treasure." I reminded him, swimming down. 

"What do you suppose my treasure is?" Harry asked as we swam. 

"Dunno." I thought for a moment. "Maybe Ron and Hermione are down here." 

"Imagine that." Harry laughed. 

"Do you hear that?" I asked, stopping. 

"Hear what?" He looked around. 

"The singing. It's the song from the egg." I realized. "We must be close!" 

Harry and I turned around after we heard swimming behind us. Fleur was a few meters away, swimming in the opposite direction from the singing. I furrowed my eyebrows, but didn't really think anything of it. I heard a weird noise, making me turn back to Fleur, and saw her disappear below.