Chapter 21: The Final Battle

(Rose)

As the others watch the reunion, I hung back and examined the Hourglass, feeling ashamed over losing a lot of Earthrealm's Champions. Many were ripped away from their lives, their families, their friends. And it's all my fault.

"I'm sorry, Kitana, Kung Lao, Kung Jin, Jacqueline Briggs, Cassandra Cage..." I whispered, my arms crossed as I lower my head, pinching the bridge of my nose as I take a deep breath. "And all the others I lost in this horrible turn of events." I added.

I look back and see a newly restored Bi-Han and his bride, making me sigh again before turning my attention back to the Hourglass, closing my eyes as I shake my head.

How could I let this happen? How could I be so foolish? Mort importantly, how could I not see this coming? Shang Tsung is known for his treachery and I fell right into his trap – hook, line, and sinker. Now, the cost is unbelievable; many souls are lost, permanently erased because of my lack of sensibility.

"Don't blame yourself, Rose. It will only bring you despair." Raiden told me as he stood by my side, looking at the Hourglass with sorrow.

"Its hard not to. I just can't believe they're gone..." I said as Raiden sighed. "Does it ever get any easier?" I asked as Raiden put a hand on my shoulder, squeezing it just a little.

"I'm afraid not..." Raiden said, lowering his head and releasing a few tears. He then squeezed harder. "But I've learned that one must be strong, even after losing those closest to him. Especially if he still has others who matter to him."

I couldn't help but smile for a split moment. Raiden does have a point – there's no use crying over something that's already done. You can still grieve and mourn, but it won't change anything; you have to be strong for those you have left.

I look towards Raiden, who's eyes were still fixed on the Hourglass but his hand remained glued to mine, and pecked him on the cheek. I then press my forehead into his should as I sigh heavy.

"I'm sorry that you lost Kung Lao and Liu Kang... I know they were like sons to you." I told him as he lowered his eyes, shaking his head.

"You know – for a while, I was glad time was disrupted, because both Liu Kang and Kung Lao would have died by my actions. My own hands..." Raiden then looked at his own hands, lightening zapping all around them as he finished with, "... But now, they're permanently gone. Now I wish they had died, that way I could bring them back with the Hourglass."

"That's the painful reality of it..." I said, finally understanding what Shang Tsung meant. "Even though you try your hardest... you can't save everybody." I add, lowering my head, the feeling of failure washing over me.

I remove the crown from my head, staring at it with depression before throwing it away, not wanting anything more to do with it. Suddenly, the room grew dark and the sounds of screams filled the air, causing everyone to look at the entrance where Shang Tsung was standing with his entire army.

"Shang Tsung?!" I angrily said through gritted teeth.

"I see you finally learned the truth I was referring to, Miss Rose." Shang Tsung claimed as he stood in a confident manner. He then held out his hand and the crown zipped over to him without a second thought, causing my eyes to go wide as he placed it back on top of his head. "Poor decision throwing the crown away, Rose. Then again, as Shinnok's daughter, you are cleverly smart. I could use someone like you." he told me as Raiden stepped in front of me, snarling at him.

"Not in a million eons, Shang Tsung!" Raiden declared as Fujin and Teegan joined his side.

"You want her, you'll have to go through us!" Teegan added as she and Fujin got into fight stances.