~ Chapter 22 ~

Xisuma was really stressed, which was somewhat normal. But he was also really bored. Being an admin of a server containing more than twenty chaotic hermits, that's practically illegal. 

It's just that nothing was wrong. Sure, some codes went a bit haywire and couldn't be deciphered, but nothing was affected. Even the communicator said that there were no problems.

Nothing was wrong. Not even the most rickety redstone contraptions that caused the most lag. So that's why X was stressed; it was perfect. Now he was just bored.

I should go check on Grian. Mumbo did say that he seemed pretty traumatized by whatever happened.

He rechecked his elytra to make sure they weren't broken, before taking off to the other jungle to the south. Or so he tried, if he hadn't collided with a hermit prone to crashing.

"Mumbo?" X asked, standing up and helping the other. He immediately noticed how stressed Mumbo looked. "Are you-"

"Grian's gone."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

His nightmares were getting worse and worse.

Every night, the memories haunted him, the memories of having his friends taken away from him, of seeing worlds torn apart by the creatures that swore to protect them.

Then he woke up to see two figures staring back at him. Or he thought they were staring at him; it's hard to tell when they wear those masks. But now, all Grian could wish was that this was a nightmare.

His heart raced as one of the Watchers lifted their hand, purple particles floating around it, and controlling his movements. The other summoned a portal, similar to a Nether portal, only blue, and walked through. The one that controlled Grian forced him to stand and walk through as well.

Memories flooded back to him, as Grian took in his surroundings. On the floating island that resembled the End, castles and towers stood where the obsidian pillars should've been, connected by bridges. Completely made out of endstone and purpur, it would normally be and eyesore to look at, but they somehow made some of the ugliest blocks fit together.

"Long time, no see, Grian. I'm glad you've returned," one of the Watchers said, deadpan. It was annoying, how long they took to complete their sentences since they never merged words.

He was about to object, but didn't, knowing that that would only bring pain.

Never talk back.

"We were so distraught when you left us."

As if I was ever one of you.

The one that was talking to him seemed younger than the one that bound Grian, although he soon released him, knowing that there was nowhere to run to. If the Watcher that talked had actual feelings, he would've been such a social butterfly, judging by how much he was talking, even though there was little shown emotion. The Watchers motioned him to follow, as though he had a choice...

Maybe they changed- No, they manipulate everyone and I'm just one of they're assets.

They lead him up the brick stairs of the shortest tower. Up close, there were small carvings in Galactic, engraved in podiums lining the path up to the entrance.

"ℸ ̣ ⍑ᒷ ∷ᒷᔑᓭ𝙹リ ᒲᔑリ|| !¡ᒷ𝙹!¡ꖎᒷ ╎リ 𝙹⚍∷ ᓭ𝙹ᓵ╎ᒷℸ ̣ || ᔑ∷ᒷ ᒲ╎ᓭᒷ∷ᔑʖꖎᒷ ᔑリ↸ ᓭℸ ̣ ∷ᒷᓭᓭᒷ↸ ╎ᓭ ʖᒷᓵᔑ⚍ᓭᒷ 𝙹⎓ ᔑリ ᔑℸ ̣ ℸ ̣ ᔑᓵ⍑ᒲᒷリℸ ̣ ℸ ̣ 𝙹 ℸ ̣ ⍑╎リ⊣ᓭ ℸ ̣ ⍑ᒷ|| ⍑ᔑ⍊ᒷ リ𝙹 ᓵ𝙹リℸ ̣ ∷𝙹ꖎ 𝙹⍊ᒷ∷.
The reason many people in our society are miserable and stressed is because of an attachment to things they have no control over," the Watcher defined. "You see, Grian, we need to take control of power. Take away things that people are too attached to. That way they have no power and hope to change something we've already made perfect."

So that's why you took away my friends, my family, huh? Because I loved them. As though anything can be replaced...

They pass another Watcher in the hall, as they made their way to a spiralling staircase up. It looked Grian in the eye for an uncomfortable six seconds before moving onwards. The two Watchers accompanied Grian to the topmost floor, where they showed him his room and left him alone. The first thing he checked was whether the door was locked. It wasn't, but he stayed in the room, as to not get in trouble.

Grian stared in awe at the level of detail put into the structure. A chandelier hung from the ceiling, overtop of a small dining table, a desk sat in the corner of the room, and a comfy-looking bed in another mini-room. 

Why is this so luxurious? It's not like it was last time and I'm not that valuable... He sighed, and sat down on the bed, taking notice of a gifted box on the pillow. Cautiously, Grian opened it up to see a pearly white mask staring back at him. He ran a finger over the purple markings, easing down the urge to throw it.

I guess this is my life now...

WOOO done the chapter! quick notice: my friend is visiting rn so updates will take a little longer than expected, but whatever, i'll try my best.
Thank you for wasting your time reading only 800 words so congrats! :')