Chapter 1-Here They Come

“Ughhh.” I sighed as I rubbed my hand over my food baby that had formed in my stomach from eating so much.

“I take it dinner was good?” My dad questioned as he walked in through the door connecting our garage to the entry way.

“Wayyyy too good. I ate so much I can barely move.”

“Well, sorry I missed it.” My dad set down his briefcase and started taking off his coat. My dad was the CEO of a big law firm in New York, so he wasn’t really home often. And when he was, all he did was sleep. I used to mind a lot when I was younger, and he would miss my sports games, or a concert at my school, but I had gotten used to his absence over the years.

“Well,” I said glancing up at the clock on the microwave, seeing it was 5, “I guess I should go change for work.”

“Alright sweetie.” My mom gulped the rest of her glass of water down.

“Thanks for dinner.” I replied, grabbing my plate and putting it in the sink. I went upstairs and quickly changed into my work uniform. Deciding to put my long, curly brown hair into a fish-tail braid, I grabbed a small rubber band and started braiding my hair to the side. I held my side-swept bangs back with a small flower barrette. My eyes scanned the top of my desk until they read the numbers on the small digital clock I had sitting towards the edge. It was already 5:15, which was normally the time I left for work when I had a 5:30 shift. I quickly grabbed my pair of light blue converses, and ran out of my bedroom.

“Hey Brielle, how are you?” My coworker/best friend at work Lexie said as I walked behind the main desk to take a seat next to her.

“Hey Lex. I’m good. How was school? You guys started today, right?” I sat down on the stool next to her. Lexie went to a school about 30 minutes from mine.

“Yeah, we started today. It was alright, I’m getting senior-itis though.” She let out a small chuckle.

“Ugh, same here. I can’t wait to get out of school.”

“Ditto…Sooo, any new cute guys at your school?” Lexie looked at me and smirked. I told Lexie everything, she was the one person who never judged me. I mean, yeah I told Charlene and Darcy pretty much everything that happened to me, but with Lexie, it was different. She made me feel so comfortable around her. Throughout the last 8 months, I have told her everything there was to know about me, and she did the same. It also helped that she went to a different school, so if I ever told her something about someone else, it wouldn’t matter if she told anyone else, because they didn’t know them.

“Haha, yeah…kinda.” I thought of Nathan and smiled.

“TELL! Who is he? What’s he look like? Did you two talk?!” All the questions flooded out of Lexie’s mouth at once.

“Hold on Lex!” I laughed and turned to face her. “Uh….it’s Nathan.” I blushed as I avoided her gaze. She knew all about our past, and she didn’t particularly like Nathan.