Chapter Five - Joel POV [In Editing]

This chick from my pack, Danielle, was freaking hot. I mean HOT. I thought I'd chat her up, get her to go out with me on friday. She was standing with her back against the wall, clutching a folder to her chest and smiling flirtatiously. I leaned my right shoulder on the wall beside her and gave her a little smirk. I hardly even remembered what we're talking about. I just knew at this point is was up to step 4.

See, I had these steps to getting the yes. I aaaaaaaaaalways get the yes. It's pretty easy.

1. Make initial contact (I asked her out and she said no)

2. Ignore them for a while (Since she said no, I ignored her)

3. A backhanded compliment (I told her that I love her pretty face, they take away from her fat ass)

Just remember it's okay to lie about these things, both the good and bad. Here I was lying about the bad stuff, 'cause she was sexy all over.

Now I'm up to step four: Brag on yourself in the form of a complaint (I ONLY got 20/20 for the last assignment)

There were about six more steps.

5. Make intense eye contact

6. Use any excuse to establish intimacy through physical contact

7. Give them a small gift

8. Treat/look at them like they are the only person in the world who matters

9. Pretend to take the offer off the table so they want it more

10. Enjoy your prize!

I was working on completing steps four to six. Seven would happen in the afternoon and I should have a date for Friday by tuesday morning. It was all going perfectly.

Then a gunshot sounded. I spun around and saw Jessica staring at some guy holding a gun. She placed her hand behind her back and he smirked as she did. She dropped to the ground. 

Shit, why'd he shoot her? I thought.

More men dropped from the trees and appeared as if from thin air.

Fuck! Hunters!

The sound of clothes shredding pierced the air as wolves from both packs shifted to take on the threat. As Alpha-heir to the Dawesons Creek pack I was in charge here. I shifted into my huge grey wolf and howled a challenge at their leader. 

All hell broke loose as wolves and hunters clashed in a battle for revenge and survival. It was pandemonium, absolute chaos. I linked in with my pack.

Jared, get Jess to sick bay. Kelly,  take out the second in command. Paul, Mel, Harry, you're with me.

The three wolves raced to join my flanks as I dove into the thick of the battle. I needed to take out the leader and find out why he was there. But he'd disappeared in the confusion. I stopped to look at what was going on, all around me wolves were taking down the hunters. Two hunters approached my right flank. Mel jumped in and initiated her own fight. Harry took out two on my left. It was me and Paul, my third in command. He suddenly launched himself over my back to take out a female hunter.

At the same time that he landed on her, a heavy weight hit my back and pulled me to the ground.

He had me effectively pinned. He was easily too heavy for a female. A slight brush of air and the faintest touch of metal on the fur between my ears could only mean one thing. Point blank range. I finally regained my full faculties and jostled beneath the hunter, throwing him to the side. 

I watched as he crashed into the tree hitting his head. He was immediately disoriented, staggering as he tried to pull himself up. I reared my massive grey head, my muzzle crinckled to allow the angry snarl past my lips. He spat blood onto the concrete, his life essence mingling with that of the countless others killed and injured today. I stalked forward slowly until my shadow fell over him entirely, blotting out his entire world. Paul jumped in, dragging the hunter from my line of attack. His action snapped me out of my daze, giving me time to reclaim the body and force my wolf back. Paul, I want him alive. We'll take him to Morans office. He can be questioned later. I commanded.

The sandy wolf with his jaws around the Hunters arm nodded to me and took off at a run. I howled, signalling our victory this day and took off after the Lead Hunter. Running ahead, I shifted to open the door to Morans office, pulling some chains out of an old cupboard. Annoying as the bastard was, Moran was always prepared. Paul and I chained the prick to one of the armchairs. He struggled and tried to yell, but seemed too disoriented from his drag. After  ensuring he wasn't going anywhere, we left the room and I turned to Paul.

"Stand guard out here. No-one goes in or out without my say."

He nodded, pulling on a pair of old shorts he'd retrieved from a drawer in the office.

The  battle outside was almost over. I could hear the last of my pack taking down the hunters. Many got away though. It didn't matter too much. We'd have them soon. Their leader was being held in Morans office at that very moment. But I needed to attend to another matter first

I made my way to the sick bay. As I opened the door I saw the one low bed with the worlds hardest mattress. Upon it lays Jessica. Surrounding her were Jared, Moran and the pack doctor.

Jared stood at the foot of the bed, leaning against the wall. Moran sat in the only chair, simply observing. The pack doctor was bent over her, checking her vitals and tieing off the end of a bandage that was wrapped around her torso. She stepped back to admire her work and write something on a clipboard.

I gave a slight cough, alerting her to my presence.

"Oh, hello Alpha. As you can see, she's doing well. The bullet wasn't very deep, but she's out of it. Probably wont wake up for a day or so."

"Alright, but let me know as soon as she wakes up. I must speak with her."

At the sound of my voice her small frame stirred as she woke. She turned on her side, wincing slightly and opening her eyes. I watched her carefully for any signs of trouble, but the second our eyes met I knew something was wrong.

Something clicked inside my brain and the beast purred within my chest.