Chapter Thirty

When Severus returned to the Ravenclaw common room hours later, Remus did not expect him to be smiling. He didn't even think the other boy could smile. 

"Evening Remus," Severus grinned.

"I have to admit that you smiling makes me slightly wary," Remus said, laughing anxiously.

Severus chuckled and that, too, was strange.

"I know what this means," Natalie declared, standing up from where she was sitting and walking over to them. "Lily and Severus have obviously kissed."

"What?" Remus gasped. "Wow!"

Remus' lack of subtlety obviously meant that Nicholas, Edgar and George were drawn to their conversation.

"Good on you, Dumbledore," Nicholas said, patting Severus on the back.

"Thanks, Nicholas," Severus smiled.

"You know who will be especially annoyed," Edgar said in a conspiratorial whisper. "Berenice."

"I thought we had dealt with her," Severus replied, not overly concerned.

"Crushes don't go away," Remus pointed out usefully.

"I know," Severus said, staring at Remus. "When we pranked Berenice all that time ago, you said you had a crush on someone. Do you still have that crush?"

Remus blushed.

"Yes," he admitted.

"Who is it?" Edgar asked, excitedly.

"As if Remus would tell us that," Severus scoffed. "Some things are meant to stay as secrets."

"You were the one who brought up my crush!" Remus exclaimed, annoyed at his friend.

"Ah well," Severus waved it off. "I don't particularly care who it is."

Remus seemed relieved that Severus wasn't, for once, going to push him on it.

"Anybody get anything in Hogsmeade?" George asked with a one-track mind as always.

George was usually thinking about food, especially sweets.

"I got you those Sugar Mice," Edgar replied. "You'd better not eat them all in one go. I remember the mess last time."

"What a lovely image," commented Natalie, grimacing. "I'll leave you boys to your reminiscing."

"As will we," Remus said hurriedly, bundling Severus out of the room and into the dormitory.

They sat opposite each other.

"Pleased, Severus?" Remus questioned, curious.

"Of course!" Severus said, sounding slightly amazed for once. "I didn't expect Lily to forgive me for running out of her. I kind of expected it all to blow up in my face."

"Well, obviously the success was all down to me," Remus remarked.

"I know," Severus grinned. "Thank you, Remus, for all your help."

"No problem," Remus smiled. "What's the next traumatic event?"

Severus thought for a moment.