Chapter 9

The match soon ended, with Aoba Johsai winning although it was a close game, Karasuno losing by a mere 2 points.

Straight after, Tooru Oikawa ran right past Aoba Johsai's team manager who had offered him a refreshing bottle of water and a towel, and made a beeline for Reina.

"We won!" He cheered, embracing Reina tightly, placing a kiss on her cheek like he used to do when they were younger after every game.

Reina simply chuckled at his antics, ruffling his chocolate locks, making his hair even messier than it already was.

"Listen, Tooru, it's not safe for me to be here longer than necessary-"

"Not safe? What are you talking about? Where are your parents?"

At that question, Reina flinched, tensing as a memory of their dead, mangled bodies flashed in her mind.

"I c-can't-" Reina shook her head cutting herself off, tears threatening to spill as the emotions that she had been forced to bury slowly made their appearance. "A-all you need to know is that they're dead and it's my fault."

Reina tried to make her escape, wrenching herself out of Tooru's warm embrace, taking a step toward the cold exit before her body fell to the floor, convulsing as small electrical currents pulsed through her system. She gritted her teeth in pain, making sure to not make a sound, terrified that if they heard her, they would punish her even more. She could hear muffled sounds above her, a familiar voice calling her name though it sounded as though they were underwater... or was she the one underwater? Drowning?

It seemed like an eternity before the pain and building tension finally released, leaving her panting on the ground. She opened her eyes which were previously tightly clenched shut to see a blurry figure of her childhood friend, Tooru Oikawa. She shakily rose to her feet, frantically looking around in fear.

They can't be here... Not now.

But of course, lady luck was not on her side today.

"My, my... What do we have here, 2947? Is that emotion I see? Tsk Tsk... Have you learnt nothing?"

That voice... The voice that haunted her dreams at night... That made those previous three years a living hell.

"N-no-"

"No? Have you forgotten what I have taught you?"

"No Master." Reina replied coldly, taking a deep, steadying breath to quickly mask her emotions, her mask put in place once more, eyes colder and more lifeless than ever.

Tooru Oikawa practically recoiled at her tone of voice, never having heard anything like that coming out of Reina's mouth before and nor, by the looks of things, had anyone else, well all but the stranger dressed in all black that had made an appearance...

What had happened to her?