Chapter 13

The test for a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in the mind at the same time, and retain the ability to function-------F. SCOTT FITZGERALD

There was instant soothing coming from the fireplace at the lobby. Ben and Amelita were having another late dinner, their last in Banawe. The familiar waiter ushered them toward the same table that they have been dining on, his eyes cheery and with experienced courtesy for intimate couple.

During dinner, Ben kept a predictive eye of good tidings to come just by looking at Amelita. She was a breath taking sight for him.....An indescribable enjoyment. A thought that struck him to his very soul.

"Thinking about me or something else?" There was uneasiness in Amelita's opening banter.

"About us." He thought about the commitment in his answer. It was significant for her. She was eleated.

"I'll fly to the states next week." He did not want her to know until that evening. They were both used to accepting news of departure on a short notice.. "I'll be back after a month."

Amelita placed her hand on Ben's lap. It was a warm".....will miss you gesture.

Ben responded with his own".....me too." His hand crept under her skirt, watchful of the few diners at the other tables.

She pushed at his hand a little but Ben tightened his grip. She signaled at the waiter to approach with her forefinger, but he could not have seen her. She addressed the waiter while actually whispering to Ben. "Pssst, waiter, bring us a bed." They laughed at themselves. Like a little girl who feared being caught trying on her mother's lipstick, Amelita attempted coyly at making Ben release his grip on her. She changed the subject.

"Will the world be a better place without people having to carry weapons?"

"Whew!" Ben sighed with dry humor. He accepted the fact that her beliefs are too precious disregarded indolently but, "I would not be a fool for this love." Ben was determined to argue his case convincingly.

"A gunless society is not possible in this life. It is only possible in the after-life."

"Excuse me?" She was momentarily caught off guard. "Gun prohibition can be promulgated after our lawmakers concede to the evils of owning guns, admitting to themselves the wisdom of rational peace."

Granting for the sake of argument that lawmakers passed that bill on gun prohibition," Ben yielded. "Many erstwhile, law abiding citizens will still hide guns, like I did during the Marshall Law years. More consequently, these terrifying will not adhere to the prohibition."

"Never mind the criminal syndicates." She raised a hand of assurance and pressed on. "They will be dealt with once the law on complete prohibition is in place. But, why should people like you insist on owning guns?"

He needed to point out the loop-holes in her assumptions. "Sweetheart, you are predisposing two things. One, if legal gun owners like me are disarmed, only outlaws and the police will have guns. If I have been disarmed and, as you hope, have likewise been disarmed, would you prefer that only the police and the military possess and carry guns?" Ben smiled awkwardly.

Amelita sat back into an easy pose.

"Remember, darling, how many of these police and military men got involved in crimes? What must we do to protect ourselves from our, supposedly, protectors? It's an oxymoron-----depending on something or on people who could not be depended on."

She remained silent . He added in a rush. "As to your second question, why do I insist on owning and carrying a gun? For the following simple reasons......" Ben paused and motioned to the waiter for another bottle of mineral water. "The police are underpaid, undermanned, and underequipped." He again pondered awhile on his supporting statements.