CHAPTER 13

THE EARTH IS LITTERED WITH THE RUINS OF EMPIRES THAT BELIEVED THEY WERE ETERNAL

Dominica woke up with a headache the next morning, it seemed as if they had been drinking the previous day rather than visiting a "saint". She went to check up on the others, just to see if any of them were also experiencing something off and turns out it was true, not much of a surprise there, not for her anyway. She walked into the three groaning men clutching their heads for dear life. She called room service to bring up some advils to soothe the pain shooting across their heads, after at least 10 minutes of grunting, the advils arrived and all of them swallowed it down, the throbbing seemed to die down instantly. After they had showered and were decent again, they gathered in one of the rooms to discuss the recent events.

Kai was sitting beside Rufus on the opposite of Dante and Dominica, they were discussing the mysterious man and the headache and how it could have or could have not related to him, the book still was forgotten until Dante brought it up.

"Hey, umm......did you read..um....what he asked you to?" He had stuttered through the heated argument.

" oh, I almost forgot, let me just go and get it, I think we will not have any further arguments to make after reading the book," Dominica said getting up to retrieve the book from her room.

" It was meant solely for you, wasn't it?" Rufus butted in, his suspicion towards Dante coming to surface.

"I trust you all Rufus, we have been through everything together, you know. How can I not? And I mean all of you, don't you dare count yourselves out." She said with a small smile.

Rufus could not help but frown at her, at how she could trust everyone so easily, in the long years he had known her she had been nothing but selfless to literally every person she'd met. He would always lecture her not to give in to people, or trust them easily but she would always dodge it by saying that kindness doesn't hurt. She always had her guard up but it would melt away easily whenever anyone came seeking her help. 

His thoughts were interrupted by light footsteps of Dominica stipulating her presence in the room. She plopped down her previously occupied seat and stared at the front of the book with a frown, the book cover had been torn and thus, there was no sign of the name of the book. She quickly raked through the pages and caught that the book had 133 portions and each of them was divided into 8 "adhayas", or so it was written on top of each new section. She quickly rummaged through her memories for the portion the man asked her to read and remembered it to be 39th. She turned to portion 39 and settled on reading the rest of the book later. It was moments like these that she was grateful for choosing Hindi as her extras in high school.

She read the whole 10 pages of the Hindi text in her hands in twenty minutes, ignoring the longing stares of the four men present in the room who were growing impatient second by second. After what felt like an eternity the book slipped from Dominica's hands to the ground and Rufus saw her form losing balance and just like that, she succumbed into darkness.