Chapter17

Marshall

I wanted to make a move in this cat and mouse game, a move that told him to stop before he loses his life. It would be tricky to take him out, he would be missed. A young, white male in the prime of their life just don't go missing. But he might. While Margret slept I went to Facebook, looking Brent up. There had to be something he cares about or fears.

His Facebook wasn't hard to look at. Everything was public, which considering the game he's playing is really idiotic. Unless he wants me to see, drawing me out.

His taste match his personality, that's for sure. U2, Lil Wayne, Luke Bryan, Coldplay. He seems to watch MTV, a lot and loves Michael Bay movies. This wasn't telling me much, aside from taste.

Oh wait.

He "checks" into places. Most of them are the college he goes to. And a bar called "Goldie's." He's second most checked in place. A few was his parents' house which showed a map to it. Either he's forgotten this shows up or he's calling me out. Most likely forgotten.

While scrolling through his photos, most seem to be from the bar or campus. He seems to visit his parents often. Takes lots of selfies. I can get a good look at the inside of this house and the people in it from these pictures. Where would be a good place to hide or what looked good to break? He broke our things, nearly broke my daughter. We'll see how he likes it when his things break. Or maybe I could find out what he's afraid of, scare him away. As much as I want to kill him, make him suffer, he would be missed and the places he goes are full of people.

I couldn't do anything just yet. It's Saturday, the big dance. Mason's date, Jane is asleep in Morgan's room right now. Hopefully sleeping and not up all night talking or unable to sleep from excitement. I made a few mental notes about my plan and went down to the kitchen to make tea. I was too awake with my thoughts. As I walked past Morgan's room I heard quiet talking and the light coming out from under the door. Sleep wasn't coming for them for a while ether. It was 2:36 am.

Once the sun rose I curled around Margret a little more. She liked to sleep in on weekends. I always woke up at the normal 5am and had a hard time getting back to sleep. But I'd indulge her and hold her close, kiss her shoulder, smell her hair. Sometimes a bit more but that's not until she wakes up a little. She never was a morning person. Guess that's where Mason gets it from.

Once we heard the kids up and awake and laughing downstairs we knew it was time to get up. I went to move to get up for the day when Margret stopped me. "No. Let's stay here a bit more. I love hearing them laugh." I smiled, kissing her cheek, listening to the sounds of the kids downstairs. I knew why she wanted to listen, same reason I did.

We still can't believe we got this far. Have this life. Have these kids. It's so hard to believe my life could have been anything but good but the proof is in my arms and downstairs laughing and talking.

Eventually we had to go down stairs to make breakfast. Mikey was watching his cartoons while the laughing was coming the kitchen. I heard Morgan laughing, trying to speak. "Oh my god! That's so horrible! Jane, I can't believe you." Mason chucked "It's always the quiet ones."

Margret and I walked in and saw them playing a card game, the cards black and white. Margret spoke first. "What game are you kids playing?" Mason spoke. Jane next to him, blushing. "Jane brought it. It called Cards Against Humanity. It's like apples to apples." "But way more horrible and offensive." Morgan spoke, looking up at us. I smiled. "Well if it makes you guys laugh so much I don't have a problem. What does everyone want for breakfast?"

The cards were cleaned up; breakfast was served to the now four kids in the house. We got to know Jane a little better. She was a very sweet girl but very shy and soft spoken. Smart also. She wanted to go to Princeton. I could tell Mason really liked her. It was sweet. Once Margret takes the girls to the mall to be dolled up for the evening, I would take Mason to pick up his tux and possibly food. No time for dinner tonight since they're going to have dinner at the dance.