Chapter 26

Chapter Twenty Eight

Marshall

I made sure my kill room was locked tight and hidden well. I didn't have time to dispose of Brent's body.

I got in my BMW and tried not to break any speeding laws. My son was awake from a coma we didn't think he'd come out of. Every month Mikey didn't come out of the coma Margret kept asking about options and making arrangements.

I dismissed them almost before they left her mouth. I didn't want to think of that. Not now, not ever. I saw the time. About 10PM. Margret must have been stalling on my behalf. I'd feel bad if it weren't for Mikey waking up and Brent dead on my table.

I got to the hospital and nearly ran. I saw Margret in the waiting room. She ran up to me with tears in her eyes and a smile on her face. She hugged me tightly and I wasted no time in returning it. She spoke to me. "He's awake and he reorganizes us. The doctors are giving him some tests to see if there was any damage done to his brain other than the coma and if the results are good then he can come home with us tomorrow evening." I felt my eyes water with relief. "That's amazing. Can we see him?" She pulled away, wiping her eyes. "Not yet. They're doing tests but soon as he's done his doctor is going to speak with us. Morgan and Mason are in his room. I think they're asleep. We can wait in there until the doctor gets back."

As we walked down the hall, I brought her into a hug, whispering to her. "He's gone. We'll need an alibi." I felt her smile against my shoulder, whispering back. "Leave that to me."

We walked to the children's level of the hospital. Margret leading me to his room that was at the very end of the hall. She opened the door carefully and I nearly panicked at the empty children's bed but then remembered Mikey was in testing.

Mason and Morgan were asleep on the hospital couch. Both of them leaning against each other. I walked over quietly, gently petting their hair and kissing them each on the head. I loved them so much.

I never thought I would have a family let alone such an amazing one. I felt Margret hold my hand from behind me. We were both worried and tired. I know everything isn't going to be perfect. There's going to be some complications with Mikey. You don't just wake up from a coma and return to normal but he was alive. That's what mattered.

She suddenly cleared her throat, prompting me to turn around to look at her. She looked nervous. I grew concerned. "Is everything ok?" She nodded. "Yes. Everything is fine...I...can we talk in the hall a moment? Before Mikey gets back." I nodded, following her out. Once the door shut and we were in the yellow and white hallway with floating ducks on the wallpaper, I spoke. I was growing more worried by the second.

"Please, is Mikey really ok?" She nodded. "Yes, it's not him. It's. It's me." I felt a shiver of terror go down my back. Was she ok? Is she sick? Dying even? She continued. "I didn't want to tell you this until what I knew what was happening with Mikey. I was going to tell you at Christmas but you know how that went." I held her arms. I was nearly sick with worry. "Please don't tell me you're dying." She smiled with her eyes growing watery. "I'm pregnant. About three months. I started getting symptoms about a week after your birthday. Once I got a test from the doctor it confirmed it. We're going to have another baby."

It took a moment for it all to sink in but when it did I couldn't help the smile as I hugged her tightly. "Oh thank god! I thought you were going to say you were dying." She laughed, hugging me back. "It might feel like it at times but no. Not dying." I chuckled, kissing her quickly before pulling away. "I haven't seen a bump yet." "Well thing about winter is it makes it easier to hide under all the coats and thick dresses and sweaters." I smiled, kissing her again. "When should we tell the kids?" She sighed. "Once Mikey is out of testing and we know what's going on. I don't want to throw everything on them."