Chapter 28

1987

Margret Kelley

Fourteen years old

It was one of my dad's charity balls. This year it was for child abuse awareness. Ironic coming from my parents. I had to follow my mom around as she spoke to important people. Being forced to wear a horrible dress. It was dark black, poofing out like Cinderella with dark blue, puffy shoulders. My hair was so curled and hair sprayed I thought I would catch fire at the closest match.

My mother, who dressed in a long black dress with lots of glitter on it and her hair just as poufy and curly and blonde, like mine. She laughed. I sighed, holding my plastic wine glass filled with apple juice. My mother's "friends" walked away and she looked down at me. "Peggy, stop frowning. You'll chase everyone away. You're so ugly when you frown." I pouted even more. My mother kneeled down to me, holding my one arm too tightly. I tried not to wince but it hurt so much.

"Peggy. Show me your smile or you're not eating tonight. Lord knows you don't need any more food. Now, smile." I forced on a smile, my eyes filling with tears. She smiled, letting go of my arm. It still stung from her hand. As if she were still holding it. "Good girl. Now the mayor is expecting to eat with us. Please do not embarrass me." I followed behind her, sipping my apple juice but I really didn't want it. I didn't want any of this. When we sat with the mayor everyone was happy and laughing. But when the food came I was disgusted by it. My mom says I'm ugly and disgusting when I eat too much. That I'm going to become fat and ugly like my grandmother. That no one will ever love me if I'm fat.

But now if I don't eat it'll look like something is wrong but if I eat I'm disgusting and ugly. "Mrs. Kelley, is your daughter ok? She hasn't eaten a bite." My mom forced on a smile, patting my head gently. "Oh she's just not feeling very well but she didn't want to miss this event for anything, right dear?" I forced on a smile. "Right mom."

On our way home, I sat between my parents in our Rolls Royce as our driver drove us home to the mansion. My dad sighed. "Stock is dropping this year Malory." I felt my mother glare at me. "I wonder why. I told you it was bad investment in having a child. At least I got my body back." "That's not the point Malory. The point is our stock is dropping but our image is fine, perfect even. Maybe we're boring them." "Possibly. Maybe we could do more family activity out in the city to be able to speak to the public more."

They went on as if I wasn't there. Talking about me like I was a piece of property. My stomach was hurting but I didn't want anything. I felt so heavy and my eyes burned. I tried to wipe my tears away before they saw but my father saw, huffing. "Crying? You're really that weak you can't handle a simple evening?" I felt a lump form in my throat. "I'm sorry dad." The tears wouldn't stop, I couldn't swallow them down anymore but my mother scoffed. "You're so ugly when you cry." When we parked in front of our house the driver opened the doors. I didn't want to get out but my mother grabbed my arm, hauling me out. I still haven't stopped crying. I'm so weak and stupid.

She dragged me inside and to my room. Once inside she slapped me, making me shout in pain before crying harder. "What is all this? Crying like a baby? Is that what you are? A helpless baby?" I sobbed, holding my face, trying desperately to stop crying. I was failing her. "N-no mom." "Then stop crying like one. No man will ever give you the time of day if you're crying all over him. They don't want a weak, pathetic, ugly mess like you. Now you wipe the snot off your ugly face and stay in here until your grandmother is here to get you. I could use you out of my sight for a day." She stood up straight and went to the door, smiling. "Now, good night Peggy." She put emphasis on my shortened name. She knew I hated it. I swallowed down my tears. "Good night mom." She smiled before slamming the door.