Chapter 24

Marshall

Mikey went into a coma December 20th. 2015. It's now February 20th 2016. It's been two months and he has no sign of waking up anytime soon.

Life was going by slowly and mundane. Life was just going through the motions with no real feeling. After a half month of Mikey not waking up I finally moved from his bedside and went to attempt life again. Margret seemingly moved on smoothly but when she would visit his room her mask of perfection and put together would crumble under the weight of fear for her son.

I didn't move. I stayed by his bed side while I healed from my own injuries. I talked to him, urged him to wake up. Told him how much we love him and need him.

But I needed to go back to work. There was medical bills to pay. First day back to work I was showered with get well cards for Mikey and well wishes. Carol had taken my place while I was out on leave. When I walked through door to the bank she came over, hugging me tightly. She spoke as I hugged her back. "It'll be ok." I nodded, too depressed to really speak. She pulled away. "We can't lose hope. He'll wake up. I know it." I smiled sadly. "Yeah."

As I walked to my office I felt something was different. I looked around. I didn't see Eric, the newbie and Carol's boyfriend. "Carol?" She walked in, her hair up in its bun. "Yeah boss?" I frowned. "Where's Eric? Does he have off today?" She looked away, playing with her sweater sleeve. "Uh he quit a few weeks ago. We weren't working out." I frowned, standing, walking closer to her. "I'm sorry to hear that. What happened?" She shrugged. "Same thing that always happens. I'm not enough and he found someone better. No big." I hated how small she spoke about herself.

"Carol, why didn't you tell me sooner?" She looked at me. "Your son went into a coma. That's a bit bigger than some dick cheating on me." I walked over, hugging her. "You're one of my best friends; I'm always here for you. No matter what." She sighed. "Thanks." I pulled away. "How about dinner tonight at my house with the family? We can brood and cry into comfort food and alcohol."

She let out an unamused laugh. "Sure. Not visiting Mikey tonight?" "Margret and I visit every other day. She'll visit tonight after work then tomorrow I'll visit and we both visit on weekends. It's better that way. Organized." She frowned before shaking her head. "Alcohol it is. Lots of it."

Carol followed me home. I had let Margret know Carol was coming over to visit. The girl time might be good for them. I bought a new car since the Land Rover was obviously totaled and beyond repair. It was a small BMW SUV in white.

I parked in the garage. Margret wasn't home yet. She was likely at the hospital visiting Mikey. I walked into the kitchen through the garage and heard the television on. I walked further, seeing Mason and Morgan watching some sitcom I've never heard of. I felt like something was missing. "Morgan, where's Jake? He's almost always here for dinner." She frowned before speaking. "He has some kind of family function he can't get out of." I nodded then saw Carol come through the front door. Mason and Morgan both perked up, even a little. Mason greeted her first. "Carol! Hey." She smiled. "Hey. How you guys doing?"

While they talked I walked back into the kitchen, taking my winter coat off and going to the liquor cabinet, getting out a bottle of vodka. I've been hitting the bottle much more often then I used to.

It's become one of the few things to make me feel something other than the heavyweight of misery and numbness. The burn felt good. The buzz felt light, helping me not think about Mikey's condition. For a little bit at least.

When Margret arrived home I was stirring spaghetti noodles in boiling water. I wasn't the best cook but there was a few I could do and I was always learning. Pasta was very easy. She smiled but I could tell it was forced. "Hey." She walked over, hugging me. I turned hugging her close, kissing her head.