S E V E N

'Friendship is the hardest thing in the world to explain. It's not something you learn in school. But if you haven't learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven't learned anything.'

- Muhammad Ali

*(*7*)*

E S M E

I winced at the sound of my brother's sharp cries as he wailed for the attention that he lacked. I stared blankly at my grandmother as she turned around to yell at my mum.

"Well go get the brat and shut him up!" She shouted at my mother. My mother dropped the newspaper, tiredly rubbing her forehead she turned to leave the room. She had just come back from a 10 hour shift at Paul's Burgers and I knew she was exhausted.

It had been a week since we had left Trinidad and came to the states to live with my grandmother. I missed home badly and all I wanted to do was call my dad and just go home. But I couldn't.

My mum was dead set on us staying here in the land of the free. Something we weren't back in Trinidad. I jumped at the sound of the wooden spoon hitting the table that I was sitting at. I looked up to see my grandmothers small frame towering over me - a frown etched into her aged face. 

She was a mean woman in a small thin body riddled with arthritis and wrinkly skin. I was yet to see the woman smile as all she ever did was scowl and turn her nose up at us.

"You got homework?" She asked.

I shook my head in response, pushing the thick glasses up my nose making her thin lips pull into a scowl.

"Damn mute child," She muttered to herself, walking back over to the stove where she was making grits. They were always burned.

"Well what'cha still doing in my house then? Go! Get out and get some fresh air before I beat ya." She yelled over her shoulder making me jump up from my seat as scurry towards the back door.

I pushed my hands into the pockets of my handed down jacket that was far too big for my frame despite me being chubby. I walked down the road relishing in the tranquillity of the silent streets. It wasn't usually like this. We lived in a poor neighbourhood where the sound of dogs barking and police sirens filled the streets far into the night. 

Although, two blocks from my grandmothers house was a far nicer neighbourhood where I went to school. There where picket fences and neighbourhood watches existed. And that's where I was going. It was my place where I would reside without the fear of being hit by my grandmother, the stress of my mother or hear the wails of my little brother.

I walked past the worn looking playground where a bunch of shady men stood around a faded bench. Probably getting high. I looked at the cracked pavement, shoving my hands further into the hole ridden pockets wishing I could walk faster.

Soon it was replaced by the clean pavements of the nicer neighbourhood and then and only then could a small smile grace my face. I knew where I was going just like I knew my old town in Trinidad like the back of my hand. The park which was much cleaner than the one in my own neighbourhood greeted me as I stepped through it's gates and towards the oak bench.

It's rough exterior greeted me as I perched on the end, pulling out my sandwich I hadn't eaten at school. I was about take a bite before it was knocked out of my hands by a ball.

What.

The.

Heck.

"Are you okay?" A voice asked. I looked up to see a boy retrieve his ball looking down at me with concern as he stepped over the splattered tuna sandwich. I nodded before beginning to get up. He stepped in my pathway, blocking my escape with one large hand.

"Wait...I think I know you." He stated. I finally looked into his eyes and my breath caught in my throat. His skin was a rich brown colour which looked smooth to the touch. His hair was a fluffy, curly cloud atop his head but that wasn't what took my breath away. It was his eyes. They were a beautiful brown that had hints of green in then that sparkled as he looked at me with curiosity.

"No...you don't," I said, my heavy accent slipping into my speech as his eyes widened in recognition. 

He smiled a coy grin, "Oh but I do. You're the Island girl." He remarked. I scowled; pushing my way past him as I attempted to make my way past him towards the gates of the park. Those were the first words I had uttered since my embarrassment in the classroom. 

The teacher had called me up to state my name and where I was from but I had gotten so nervous and my accent had gotten thicker. Everyone had laughed at me except one girl at the back of the class who only stared at me in curiosity and amazement just like he had. His hand shot out just as I walked past him; his long fingers coiling around my wrist as he halted me in my steps.

"Don't go!" He said quickly. I raised a brow, pulling my hand out of his grasp. 

"Look, me and my friends are playing basketball. My sister is with us and I wondered if you wanted to hang out with her." He explained. I raised a brow as if for his to go on.

"She doesn't have much friends," He explained awkwardly, rubbing the back of his neck as he avoided eye contact.

"Sure." I uttered much to his amazement. He smiled gently before leading the way towards the court where a few boys where hanging around. He made his presence known to them as he dribbled towards them - bouncing the ball to one of his friends as they resumed their game. Not once sparing me a glance. A frown made it's way onto my face as I stood by the sidelines.

'Well what am I supposed to do?' I thought to myself as I shifted to my right foot. I couldn't go home just yet. No. There was too much sadness waiting for me back there and I wasn't ready to face it just yet.

"Esme." I heard someone whisper from next to me. It was the girl from class who had stared at me so intently just like she was doing just now. Her hair was braided back and she wore a cute green romper that had the word believe in glitter on the front.

"I'm Indigo, like the colour but not the exact shade." She beamed at me, sticking her hand out for me to take.

"Wanna be friends?"

* * *

I sipped the cool water from my bottle as I stared out at the moon that gleamed at me like  a Cheshire cat. I wrapped my shawl tighter around me as I stared out at the green forest that spread out for miles. I leaned against the railing as I looked out, my eyes filled with unshed tears.

I tried to ignore the harsh words of Indigo as I stared out at the dark sky. A gentle gust of wind caressed my face, carrying the lone tear that slipped from my eye into the starry night. I knew I wasn't going to get a warm welcome from Indigo but that didn't make the feeling of hurt go away.

I walked to the doors of the balcony doors turning back to look out at the night sky once more.

"Buonanotte, mia dolce bambina." I whispered softly before slipping into the comfort of my room.

* * *

FOLLOW | VOTE | COMMENT