C h a p t e r 15: White or Ivory

Alice's POV:

I had arrived at work and we had finally started seeing some rise in sales through publishing. It's a good thing that we were given a second chance.

A bit into my work I got a call from Maya just checking in on me. I did tell her about the engagement and she seemed worried, I was too but I didn't tell her because I didn't want her to worry about me. we arranged to meet up after work.

I went to Maya's house and we just talked. We didn't get to have a full conversation because my mother decided to call me. She wanted me to try on wedding dresses.

Once I told Maya what my mother has said, she started squealing and dragged me out of her house.

I drove to the location and my mother was there with Oliver's mother. Maya seemed to be more excited than me.

We entered the boutique and we were met by a very nice consultant. Her name was Cindy.

What was I going to do now? I can't actually buy a dress there wasn't going to be a wedding.  I would just be wasting everyone's time.

"So what type of dress are you trying to buy? Any details you want on your dress?" Cindy asked me.
" I actually don't have anything in mind," I said to her.
" don't worry that's okay because I know a dress that will fit you perfectly!" She said while dragging me off to the dressing rooms.

A few moments later Cindy came back with three dresses in her hand. She told me that my mother had picked out one dress, Maya had picked out one dress and Cindy had brought the dress she had mentioned. 

I tried out all three.

The first one was my mother's pick. It felt more like a pile of fabric than an actual piece of clothing. It was a ball gown and had sparkles all over and was full-sleeved. It was covered in lace and sparkle. I felt like a glamorous marshmallow. No one really likes this one except my mother but she never likes to accept that she could be wrong.

Maya's pick was a very tight form-fitting mermaid dress. I could hardly breathe in it and I thought that I would trip over if I took one more step forward.  no one liked this dress either. 
Then I tried on the last dress it was the best out of all of them. It was a form-fitting full length with a sweetheart neckline and off the shoulder sleeves.

But something still felt wrong, was it the dress or was it me? As I looked into the mirror my reflection staring at me. My eyes drew foggy until and gave in and cried.
From an outside perspective it would look like a bride had found the one. However, my tears weren't from joy they were from sadness I had deceived the ones around me. I was planning a wedding that would ruin lives and it only hit me now.
I didn't pick a dress that day because there wasn't going to be a wedding.

Word count: 530