THE BALL

"I don't have with me what does not rightfully belong to me. Whatever I have with me now, was mine to have in the first place."
    — King Ola of Amu Kingdom

Abike woke up the next morning in wonderland.
The whole Palace had changed overnight. There were flowers and string lights everywhere you looked, it was amazing.

She didn't go to the Prince's room by five a.m. with his glass of milk. She would find Mrs. Jamila after today's ball and beg her to give her some other duty. Her heart couldn't take any more.

She was currently walking with a group of girls to the arena room where Mrs. Jamila had asked them to gather for a meeting.

The room was cramped because, for the first time, they were gathering with the Ore servants too.
She was short so she couldn't even see what was going on in front of her, she just stood still and tried to listen attentively.

It seemed like a long time before Mrs. Jamila climbed the podium and her voice carried across the room as she began to speak.

"We are not here to waste any time..." Mrs. Jamila started.
"Today is and has always been an iconic day for us in the Ore dynasty. In a few hours, these doors will open and you will be in the presence of people you never imagined you would ever meet in your wildest dreams..." Abike rolled her eyes and caught Mariam and the girls standing several feet away.

They had their backs to her and were giggling lightly as they looked towards the podium.
Abike began to shift towards them.

"... I would implore you to behave yourself properly and satisfactorily to avoid any mishap. Ensure not to drop things or spill anything on anybody because today is not a day mistakes would easily be forgiven. Try to avoid a trip to the dungeons, please..."

Abike was almost to her friends.

"And a note of warning..." Mrs. Jamila's voice increased in volume just as Abike arrived by their side. The girls squealed when they saw her and the others turned frowning faces at them due to the noise.

"Sorry," they whispered in apology, moving slightly so Abike could stand beside them.

"I know what you all do when the gates are opened. I know you all leave the Palace to go into town, I won't stop you, because it's okay to have a little fun. But any servant caught outside the Palace walls after midnight would be labeled a runaway and would be treated like the criminal they are."

"That's our warning," Mariam whispered and the girls laughed.

"I am excited," Modupe said too. "Am I the only one?"

Abike couldn't deny the excitement dancing in her belly. There was a certain tingle in the air, everyone was smiling and energetic. She had a feeling today would be a great day.

"I can't wait till it's ten so we can leave with the guys. For real." Abike smiled sadly, remembering again that she didn't have a dress.

"Come along now, Iroko and I would assign duties as they should be." Mrs. Jamila climbed down and marched towards the door.

                                        ***

Abike was beginning to get tired and uncomfortable. It was past two and she had not stopped to rest properly since morning. Her clothes clung to her sweaty body and her legs strained with the stress of climbing up and down the stairs ten times in one minute.