TOUCH ME

Murewa watched the recruits file out of their base towards the camp clearing, his gaze searching each young face for Muyiwa.

It was almost the end of their first week and he was required to lecture them on what to expect and how to behave. He always let Jamal do all the talking though.

The young boys didn't seem too happy to be woken up at seven a.m for a pep talk and he smiled at how easy they were getting it now.
When he was with his Grandfather in camp, seven a.m. was too late.

He sighted Muyiwa standing afar off, away from the others, but not too far to be obvious. Their gazes met from across the clearing and Murewa held his gaze, staring back until the boy looked away.

"Quiet!" Jamal shouted and the boys went silent.

"He said quiet and you are still talking," Murewa barked at a boy who looked barely eighteen.
"Fall out!"

The boy looked at the friends he was talking to in panic but they all seemed to have deserted him, their unwavering gazes on Murewa, their faces straight.

"Fall out!'' Jamal echoed and the boy's gaze slid to him, his eyes widening with each passing second.

Murewa and Jamal both looked formidable in their army strappings and holstered guns, so he understood why a young boy would be so scared. But if he didn't handle them like this now, they would remain spineless and undisciplined young men.

The boy made his way out slowly and as soon as he was within arms reach, Murewa grabbed him and raked him down. The boy hit the stony ground with his knees, his face scrunching up, a sure sign of tears.

"One tear falls from your face and you would sleep out here tonight," Murewa threatened and the boy clamped his mouth shut.
He felt a deathly calm fall on the rest of the recruits.

"In these parts, you only do whatever you are instructed to do," he shouted, raising his head to look at the rest of the boys.

"If I say move, you move. If I say jump, you jump. If I say shout, you do so, without questions!" He looked down at the embarrassed boy and decided to let him go.

"Get up!" He ordered and the boy rushed to his feet and towards the crowd.

"Come back here," Jamal shouted and the boy jumped again, frightened into confusion.

"He said get up, he didn't say you could go," Jamal simplified.

The boy trudged back, his shoulder dropping with every step. "Are you retarded?" Murewa snapped as the boy stopped in front of him, his head down.
"I was just saying something and then you go ahead and do the opposite. I said only do as you are instructed!"

"Yes sir," the boy answered quickly.

"Go!"
The boy stood indecisively for a moment and the crowd began to stir again.

"I said go!"
He dashed off and Murewa noticed he sat far away from his friends this time. Good. Lesson one learned. In times of need and trouble, you will always find yourself alone.

Jamal cleared his throat and silence descended again. Every pair of eyes was on them.
"I hope you have all been having a good week..." he started. "Today is Friday and in a few days, you would start having a clearer understanding of why you are here. These past few days have been so easy and it's just our way of welcoming you, giving you ample time to adapt to the new environment."