Eleven

Marnie smiled, content as she sat in the passenger seat of the Land Rover with Sherlock Holmes behind the wheel and Doctor John Watson in the back seat, it was not what she expected her day to be but she was overjoyed with the outcome as he held her hand gently in his against the gearstick, his hand over hers as he changed the gear and he winked smoothly across at her. Dartmoor had greeted them with glittering sunshine though the air was brisk and chilled and she took in the sights out the window with a smile. Marnie knew that this wasn't strictly a holiday but she liked to think of it as one- Marnie hadn't been on holiday in years.

When they pulled over to consult the map and take in the views, Marnie had a contented smile on her lips as she stood beside John, head straining and hand shading her eyes from the sun as she looked up at Sherlock who had climbed a stack of boulders to one of their sides. Marnie dropped her eyes to the map, blinking briefly against the blinding glare of the illuminated paper as she took in the lines across it.

"There's Baskerville" John decided, pointing before tilting the map to Marnie and she nodded her reassurance with a soft smile. "Er... That's Grimpan Village" he pointed the other way and Sherlock turned where he stood over them. "So, that must be... Yes, Dewer's Hollow" he declared proudly.

"What's that?" Sherlock questioned, pointing and John whipped out his binoculars which caused Marnie to smile.

"I don't know. Minefield? Technically, Baskerville's an army base so I guess they've always been keen to keep people out." he did his best to explain. They were in unfamiliar territory here but Marnie knew that the prospect of adventure excited both John and Sherlock.

Back in the car again, Marnie took in the beauty of Dartmoor as Sherlock got back to driving. She'd arranged all of the plans, just as she promised herself she would- Marnie didn't like being left unprepared and she knew John didn't either. They'd organised the hire car and accommodation, as well as the train tickets in under an hour- something that seemed to surprise Sherlock slightly but now they were here and despite it not being a holiday- it felt like one. It didn't take them long to locate the place they would be staying.

Sherlock leapt out easily and before Marnie could even unbuckle her seatbelt, he was there to hold her door open and she grinned as he took her waist gently, lifting her down and into the sparkling sun yet again. They walked as a group, Marnie's hand looped with Sherlock's as they walked with John on her other side. He never felt like a third wheel when he was with them, he wasn't sure why that was, maybe because he was his best friend and she was his 'sister but it all just felt so natural. Sherlock took in the world around them intently as their shoes clicked against the road and they went to check in at the reception- Marnie taking over because she was the best at being polite and inviting.

The pub was small and the landlord seemed to greatly appreciate their presence, grinning at Marnie each time she shot him a small smile. John and Sherlock were pacing around, observing the world around them as she signed them all in, paid and accepted their keys. A double room for Sherlock and Marnie and a single room across the hallway for John. She was quite proud of how smoothly she had managed to negotiate the whole thing in such a short amount of time.

"I couldn't help noticing, on the map of the moor" John got down to business, Marnie wasn't completely oblivious to when he'd swiped a receipt from the stack but she didn't say anything- she trusted her big brother's judgement. "A skull and crossbones? Pirates" he smiled, knowing full well that that wasn't what it was- he was picking for information by acting completely oblivious.

"Er, no. The Great Grimpen Minefield, they call it" he informed as he poured some pints, "It's not what you think, it's the Baskerville testing site." the man seemed polite and quite eager to give them information though given the amount of tourists floating around the area- she wouldn't be surprised if he was regularly asked such questions. "It's been giong for 80-odd years, I'm not sure anyone really knows what's there any more." he expressed, smiling brightly and Marnie returned it- it was getting only slightly unnerving now but she wasn't going to be rude to the man when he had been so kind and forthcoming with information.