𝐕𝐈|𝐕𝐄𝐑𝐎𝐍𝐈𝐂𝐀: 𝐀𝐒𝐒𝐔𝐑𝐀𝐍𝐂𝐄

Veronica sat next to Jughead's hospital bed with Betty

Veronica sat next to Jughead's hospital bed with Betty. It had been a week since his accident and he'd suffered through minor surgery. They had stopped the bleeding and fixed some bones from what she understood.

Three weeks.

That first promised week had come and gone. She wishes Jughead would wake up so she could tell him she's waited and she's sorry she was so inconsiderate during their last exchange. Her and Archie had failed to reconcile especially in the aftermath of Jughead's accident. Everyone's focus had been on comforting either Betty or FP. Veronica and Archie avoided each other simply by focusing on the people who were supposed to care most about Jughead. 

Accident.

The Serpents were convinced Hiram Lodge had something to do with the accident. She felt their distrustful glances every time she was around them. She's even heard some of them tell FP in hushed tones to not let her anywhere near Jughead alone.

Veronica was surprised when FP had found her the first night after everyone had been sent home to rest, and told her she was welcome to stay in Jugs room if she insisted on staying the night at the hospital. While she had not wanted to impose she was far from ready to go back to the Pembroke and see her parents. FP had seemed to understand.

The Jones man had the same talent for understanding and sympathizing with others. Maybe that's what led to both of them having the natural instinct of protecting and leading. Veronica found herself regretting not realizing that sooner. Jughead would never let go of this fight for the Southside and his father would back him to the end. She felt a little envious knowing his father had his back no matter the reason while the same was not true for hers.

She spent her nights holding Jughead's hand firmly in hers trying to tether him to consciousness. She wanted him to wake up. Veronica read to him in Spanish sometimes sharing a part of herself she had yet to with anyone else in Riverdale. Other times she played movies that her that would probably annoy Jughead awake.

Tonight she sits across from Betty on the other side of Jughead's bed each holding one of his hands. The doctors had no idea why but Jughead's heart had stopped. He had been legally dead for four minutes. Four minutes that had left Veronica shaken. She could easily tell Betty was suffering the same and FP had almost lost his mind and most certainly his voice screaming at the staff.

It had taken more than a handful of the older Serpents to grab FP and escort him from the room at the doctors request. Betty could not stop crying and Veronica had no choice but to sit in the middle of the chaos and remain the level head and moral support for people who had either wronged her or blamed her for something out of her control. All the while dealing with her conflicted feelings for the boy truly in the middle of it all.

Even as he laid there unconscious Veronica felt tied to him. They were both there in a room with their lives out of their own control through no fault of their own.